Make Somebodys Day! Send Good Vibes. Everything you need over 50% OFF. Learn More
Learning how to draw a butterfly easily, will bring you loads of joy as you create beautiful designs and use colors and patterns to make your artwork come alive. Learn how to draw a butterfly step by step and use your own creativity to make each butterfly unique.
Be sure to check out all the wonderful things to draw.
If your favorite part of “The Very Hungry Caterpillar” was the beautiful butterfly at the end, this is the drawing lesson for you!
Supplies Needed For Easy Butterfly Drawing
For this activity, you will need a few simple supplies
- colored pencils (optional)
- markers (optional)
How To Draw a Butterfly Easy
In this step by step guide you will learn how to draw a simple butterfly using pencils and paper. This drawing tutorial is great for beginners because it doesn’t require any specialized equipment.
Get your pencils ready, let’s start! Just follow these easy steps.
- Draw a vertical slanted or diagonal line with a ruler. This is the body of the butterfly.
- About 2/3 down from the top of the vertical line, draw a curved line from the left of the middle line and a curved line from the right of the middle line to make the top part of the wings.
- About ½ way down from the top of the vertical line, draw another curved line from the left and a curved line to the right like you did for the top edge of the wings.
- At the end of each top wing draw a short curved vertical line.
- At the end of each top bottom wing draw a short curved vertical line on each side.
- About 1/4 up from bottom of diagnonal line draw a curved line toward the left and a curved line toward the right to make the bottom wings.
- Next, draw the butterfly’s body. Draw two oval shapes for the body. Add a circle for the head. Add two lines and the bottom of the body and two antennae on top of the head.
- Add a circle for the butterfly’s head. Add two lines and the bottom of the body and two antennae on top of the head.
- Now, finish the wings. Draw the sides and bottom of the butterfly’s wings.
- Once the wings are drawn, add patterns to the wings. Use lines, small circle, and oval shapes to create a symmetrical pattern.
- Add eyes to the head of the butterfly by drawing two small circles.Color the butterfly using colored pencils, crayons, or markers. If you want your butterfly to look like a monarch butterfly, color the wings orange and the designs on the butterfly black. Now you have a finished drawing!
Watch and Learn
Easy Simple Butterfly Drawing Step By Step
More Butterfly Crafts and Activities
More To Draw
Drawing is an excellent way to clear the mind and come up with abstract thoughts quickly. Here are more easy drawing tutorials to teach you how to draw.