Make Somebodys Day! Send Good Vibes. Everything you need over 50% OFF. Learn More
Learning how to draw a butterfly easily, will bring you loads of joy as you create beautiful designs and use colors and patterns to make your artwork come alive. Learn how to make a butterfly drawing step by step and use your own creativity to make each butterfly unique.
Be sure to check out all the wonderful things to draw.
If your favorite part of “The Very Hungry Caterpillar” was the beautiful butterfly at the end, this realistic butterfly drawing lesson is for you!
Supplies Needed For Easy Butterfly Drawing
For this activity, you will need a few simple supplies
- colored pencils (optional)
- markers (optional)
How To Draw a Butterfly Easy
In this step by step guide you will learn how to draw a simple butterfly using pencils and paper. This drawing tutorial is great for beginners because it doesn’t require any specialized equipment. This butterfly sketch is made beautiful with the detailed butterfly wings drawing.
Get your pencils ready, let’s start with a butterfly outline! Just follow these easy steps.
- Draw a vertical slanted or diagonal line with a ruler. This is the body of the butterfly.
- About 2/3 down from the top of the vertical line, draw a curved line from the left of the middle line and a curved line from the right of the middle line to make the top part of the upper wings.
- About ½ way down from the top of the vertical line, draw another curved line from the left and a curved line to the right like you did for the top edge of the wings.
- At the end of each top wing draw a short curved vertical line.
- At the end of each top bottom wing draw a short curved vertical line on each side.
- About 1/4 up from bottom of diagnonal line draw a curved line toward the left and a curved line toward the right to make the bottom wings.
- Next, draw the butterfly’s body. Draw two oval shapes for the body. Add a circle for the head. Add two lines and the bottom of the body and two antennae on top of the head.
- Add a circle for the butterfly’s head. Add two lines and the bottom of the body and two antennae on top of the head.
- Now, finish the wings. Draw the sides and bottom of the butterfly’s wings.
- Once the wings are drawn, add patterns to the wings. Use lines, small circle, and oval shapes to create a symmetrical pattern.
- Add eyes to the head of the butterfly by drawing two small circles.Color the butterfly using colored pencils, crayons, or markers. If you want your butterfly to look like a monarch butterfly, color the wings orange and the designs on the butterfly black. Now you have a finished drawing!
Watch and Learn
Easy Simple Butterfly Drawing Step By Step
my favorite drawing supplies
- Sketching Pencils
- Kneaded Rubber Eraser
- Sketch Pad
- Erasable Colored Pencils
- Fine markers
- Sketch and Drawing Art Pencil Set
- Artist drawing set (This is great for new and experienced artists. It’s also something I give as a gift.)
You might not know these interesting facts.
- Some butterflies protect themselves by folding up their wings. This reveals the undersides of their wings and they then blend in with their surroundings. With this strategy of camouflage called crypsis, they become nearly invisible to predators.
- The top butterfly flight speed is 12 miles per hour.
- The wings closest to its head are called the forewings, the rear wings are called the hindwings. Because of the strong muscles in the butterfly’s thorax, all four wings move up and down in a figure-eight pattern during flight.
More Butterfly Crafts and Activities
More To Draw
Drawing is an excellent way to clear the mind and come up with abstract thoughts quickly. Here are more easy drawing tutorials to teach you how to draw.
I would love to keep you fully stocked with creative ideas, yummy recipes, fun crafts, and loads of free printables. Subscribe to Skip to my Lou to get new ideas delivered to your inbox. Follow me on Facebook, Pinterest, Twitter, and Instagram for all my latest updates.
learn spanish online free beginners youtube says
I always advice my students to check this website. Amazing post.
That is a fantastic blog post. Nice tips & details have been given for creating arts & crafts projects at home with utmost ease. All the steps & tips you have specified in the above article are very informational and less time-consuming. This post will help even novices in instructing them from the beginning.