Make Somebodys Day! Send Good Vibes. Everything you need over 50% OFF. Learn More
Make this face mask pattern with a tiny bit of fabric and elastic. The surgical mask style pattern is simple enough even for beginner sewers!
If you are making masks for others here are some super cute printable face mask gift tags.
This information is from The Deaconess Health System. According to the CDC, fabric masks are a crisis response option when other supplies have been exhausted. While it isn’t ideal it does offer some support to our communities.
DIY Face Mask Supplies
- 2 – 9 inch X 6 inch rectangles of fabric for adult (7.5 inch X 5 inch for child)
- 2 – 7 inch pieces of 1/8 inch flat elastic (cord elastic or beading elastic may also be used) Women and teens might get a better fit with 2 – 6 1/2 inch pieces of elastic. Use 2 – 5 1/2 inches for a child.
- scissors or rotary cutter and mat
- sewing machine
How to Make a Face Mask
Place the right sides of the fabric together. This photo shows where the elastic is placed on each end.
Instead of pinning the elastic, it was simple to place it in as you sew around the outside edge of the fabric. If using cord or beading elastic tie a knot in the ends. In this case, the knot will hang outside of the edge of the corner when you sew around.
Stitch all the way around leaving an about a two-inch in the opening along one of the long sides. The pins mark my opening in the photo. We used a 1/8 – 1/4 inch seam allowance.
Turn right side out and press.
Make three pleats on each end. Pin. Just eyeball the placement. Make sure the pleats are going the same direction on each side.
Stitch all the way around the masks twice.
That is it! Super easy!
The Deaconesses have these details about making/delivering fabric masks.
- The pattern is courtesy of The Turban Project
- Use tightly-woven cotton fabric on both sides. (we used a tightly woven cotton on one side and cotton flannel on the other)
- Please remember that both women and men in a variety of roles may wear these masks.
If providing masks to a specific organization please make sure you follow their directions. My hope is that the DIY Masks be used by the general public if that makes them feel more comfortable and we save the real masks for our health care workers.
Free Printable Face Mask Sewing Pattern
If it helps to have something by your sewing machine you can download and print this PDF pattern as a handy reference guide. I think you will really like this pleated mask pattern.
Filter Mask Pattern
There are so many mask designs. If you are looking to add a filter to your mask try this face mask with a filter pocket. So quick and easy! I used blue shop towels but you can use whatever you like. This is also a nice face mask pattern because it works without the filter too so it gives the user options.
More Patterns for Face Masks
If you prefer an easy fitted face mask whip up this soft and cozy mask in minutes! I have a free printable pattern in three sizes, even a kids’ face mask pattern sized just for them
Now that you are sewing If you want to provide comfort to someone these rice heating pads are another easy sewing project that provides comfort and shows care.
There are so many ways we can provide support to each other and help our communities. These uplifting message hearts are the perfect way to brighten someone’s days and show a bit of love.
Easy Sewing Projects
Now you have all my easy mask making ideas. If you find yourself at home looking for ways to enrich your life sewing is a great activity. It is so satisfying to make something yourself.
Here are some easy sewing projects:
- Zippered pouch – Let me walk you through step by step how to put in a zipper. I bet you will be surprised at how easy it is.
- Reversible Tote – This makes a useful project to give or keep.
- First Aid Pouch – So cute!
- Tissue Cover
- Hot Pad Tutorial
- Fabric Coffee Sleeve
- Pet Bandanas
- Yoga Mat Sling
- Key Chain Wallet