Super Easy DIY Cat and Dog Bandanas
Have you ever wondered how to make dog bandanas? If you are a pet lover you can make this Furry Fan Pet Bandana for your dog or cat. It makes the perfect gift for an animal lover. It is so clever how these dog bananas slip over the pet collar making it easy and comfortable for your pet!
Cat and Dog Bandanas
This holiday season, don’t overlook your favorite furry fan – even your cats and dogs can show their spirit! Today I want to share with you a simple and fun pattern for making cat and dog bandanas. Your Fido will flip for it or, in my case, Chloe the cat!
You will need the following supplies to make a bandana dog collar!
- 1 yard of your favorite team’s fabric!
- Coordinating Thread
- Cat or Dog collar
- Erasable marking pen or pencil
- Hard edge ruler
- A piece of paper (size will vary by how big your furry friend is)
How to make dog bandanas
Let me show you how to make a dog bandana. This easy pattern works for any animal that wears a collar.
1. Measure over from the fold for 1/2 the length of your collar. Mark. Use your ruler to draw a diagonal line from your mark down to the fold, creating a triangle shape. How big the triangle is will depend on how big your animal is. For instance, the triangle for our dog collar (for a golden retriever) was 11.5″ long along the fold line. However, the triangle for the cat collar was 6″ along the fold line. Cut out the triangle and open the paper out.
2. Place your pattern piece on the right side of your fabric. Note, when you are cutting out your scarf, consider the print placement. Cut out two triangles from your pattern piece.
3. Place both triangles right sides together. Pin and stitch with a 1/4″ seam allowance along the top edge. Be sure to backstitch! Fold open the scarf and press the seam open.
4. Measure the width of the largest buckle or closure on your pet’s collar. Add 1/2″ to that measurement. Using this measurement, make a mark along the corner seam. Fold in the corner edge to that mark. Press and pin. Repeat on the other side. Stitch with 1/4″ seam allowance. Press.
5. Fold right side together. Pin along the two remaining open edges. Stitch with a 1/4″ seam allowance. Trim allowance close to the stitching line.
6. Turn scarf right side out through the collar opening. Press. Use your marking pen to draw a line from the bottom of both short lines of stitching to form the collar casing. Stitch along the line. Press.
7. Topstitch along the bottom edges of the bandanna with a 1/4″ seam allowance. Have fun choosing your thread colors. I used navy blue topstitching on the scarf above and white on the one below.
Thread your collar through the open casing, and dress your pet up in its new favorite scarf!
Amy Barrickman the owner of a pattern company, Indygo Junction, She is a big fan of giving (and receiving) handmade gifts. When it comes to gift giving, you can’t go wrong giving presents that feature your family’s favorite team. There are so many fun options – you could make pajamas for your kids, an apron for your grillmaster, or even some organizational baskets.