A homemade rice heating pad is super-simple to make and works great on achy muscles.
I made this rice heating pad for a friend recovering from surgery. It was part of a special post surgery care package I sent her. They also make a great addition to a spa basket. You might also like to make one of these DIY beauty products.
Rice Heating Pad Supplies
- 1/3 yard flannel (this will make two, a 1/4 yard will make one but wastes a bit of fabric)
- 1/3 yard muslin
- about 3 cups of white rice per
- sewing machine
- essential oils
- gift tags (these are black and white and you can print on colored cardstock if you would like colored gift tag see below)
MY LATEST VIDEOS
How do you make a rice heating pad?
This is a really simple rice heating pad to make. Make them any size you need. Smaller ones make great hand warmers. If you don’t sew you can always fill a sock with rice.
- Cut muslin 6 inches wide by 17 inches long (when folded) When you open the fabric it will be 6″ X 34″
- Cut fabric 6 inches wide by 18 inches long (when folded) When you open the fabric it will be 6″ X 36″
- Turn under each end of the fabric about 1/4 of an inch and top stitch.
- With right sides together overlap ends of fabric about 1 1/2 inches.
- Sew along each side with 1/4 inch seam.
- Sew around muslin leaving a 2 inch opening for turning and adding the uncooked rice.
- Turn muslin right side out.
- Turn flannel fabric right side out.
- Add about 10-20 drops of essential oil to the rice. The addition of essential oils gives the rice heating bag aromatherapy benefits.
- Fill muslin bag with 2-3 cups white rice.
- Stitch the opening in muslin bag shut.
- Place the rice bag into the flannel cover and you have made a rice heating pack! Easy at that. What a great idea!
How do you use hot and cold packs?
To use as a hot pack heat in the microwave at 1 min intervals. Two minutes should do the trick. To use as an ice pack, keep in the freezer and pull out as needed.
Here is the little poem included with the gift tags:
This little pillow filled with rice,
Is such a comfort that’s extra nice.
Microwave for 1 to 2 minutes on high
And kiss those aches and pains goodbye.
Apply it to the troubled spot,
The heat will ease the pain a lot.
Or warm those little toes, so cold
You’ll find this nice to have and to hold.
Or freeze it for a little while,
And fix that pain up in style.
Instead of a compress made of ice,
Use this pillow filled with rice!
How long does a rice heating pad stay hot?
The heated rice heating pad will stay warm for about 30 minutes.
Can you wash a rice heating pad?
This pad has a slipcover that can be washed. Remove the cover, wash, dry and replace. I would not wash the inner bag with the rice.
How to give
These rice therapy bags make useful Christmas gifts too! This one I made from my mother’s flannel nightgown.
Wrap them up with these cute gift tags. For $4.95 you will receive an immediate download of four pages of gift tags in different holiday colors along with one page of black and white gift tags (these can be printed on colored cardstock of your choice). Each page has circles tags, instruction tags, and poem tags. BUY NOW.
If you love making handmade gifts you will love my Wrap Up a Handmade Holiday Bundle (3 pages of rice heating bag tags are included in this special offer. LEARN MORE.