Make a fabric coffee sleeve cozy, a stylish alternative to the cardboard version! This would be a great addition to a coffee shop gift card to make a lovely handmade gift. This step by step coffee cozy tutorial makes it easy to make a reusable coffee sleeve.
Coffee cup sleeve, coffee collar, java jacket, mug cozy, ……. no matter what you call it this one is not only stylish but eco friendly. It is perfect for a paper coffee cup filled with hot coffee or other hot beverage!
Coffee Sleeve Supplies
- Fabric scraps from up to 12 different fabrics
- 4.5″x12″ piece of backing fabric
- 4.5″x12″ piece of fusible fleece
- 1 coordinating elastic hair tie
- Small button
- Coordinating thread
- sewing machine
Seam Allowance: 1/4″ unless noted
How to make a fabric coffee cup cozy
1. Download the sleeve pattern and print a copy of the template, making sure there is no scaling. You can check by measuring the 1″ square. Cut along the dashed line. (If you plan to make more than one, print two, and cut the second along the solid line!)
Coffee Sleeve Pattern
6. Using a small length of thread, fold your hair elastic and tie a small knot about a 1/3 of the way over, so that you have two uneven loops. This will help hold it in place when you sew together your cozy!
7. Take your template and cut off the seam allowance by cutting along the solid line. Use this template to cut out your fusible fleece. Fuse to the wrong side of your patchwork piece.
12. On the side opposite the hair tie, center your button 1.5″ from the short edge. Mark with a pen. Start sewing your button from the front side, so that you end up with your knot finishing under the button. This leaves your backing nice and neat!
Those paper cups can get super hot. Now you can safely handle hot cups and no need for double cupping!
For more sewing projects to gift this season, check out these tutorials:
Tutorial by Jeni from In ColorOrder! She loves to sew and hopes to give lots of handmade gifts
this holiday season! 🙂
If you would prefer to crochet a coffee cozy here a couple free crochet patterns: