Make this face mask pattern with a tiny bit of fabric and elastic. The pattern is simple enough even for beginner sewers!
If you want to provide comfort to someone these rice heating pads are another easy sewing project that provides comfort and shows care.
This information is from The Deaconess Health System. According to the CDC, fabric masks are a crisis response option when other supplies have been exhausted. While it isn’t ideal it does offer some support to our communities.
DIY Face Mask Supplies
- 2 – 9 inch X 6 inch rectangles of fabric for adult 7.5 inch X 5 inch for child
- 2 – 7 inch pieces of 1/8 inch flat elastic (cord elastic or beading elastic may also be used)
- scissors or rotary cutter and mat
- sewing machine
How to Make a Face Mask
Place the right sides of the fabric together. This photo shows where the elastic is placed on each end.
Instead of pinning the elastic it was simple to place it in as you sew around the outside edge of the fabric. If using cord or beading elastic tie a knot in the ends.
Stitch all the way around leaving an about a two inch in the opening along one of the long sides. The pins mark my opening in the photo.
Turn right side out and press.
Make three pleats on each end. Pin. Just eyeball the placement. Make sure the pleats are going the same direction on each side.
Stitch all the way around the masks twice.
That is it! Super easy!
The Deaconesses have these details about making/delivering fabric masks.
- The pattern is courtesy of The Turban Project
- Use tightly-woven cotton fabric on both sides. (we used a tightly woven cotton on one side and cotton flannel on the other)
- Please remember that both women and men in a variety of roles may wear these masks.
If providing masks to a specific organization please make sure you follow their directions. My hope is that the DIY Masks be used by the general public if that makes them feel more comfortable and we save the real masks for our health care workers.
There are so many ways we can provide support to each other and help our communities. These uplifting message hearts are the perfect way to brighten someone’s days and show a bit of love.