Warm your belly with a bowl full of chicken taco soup. Make this easy soup in the slow cooker, instant pot, or stovetop. This spicy soup is full of flavor!
We are huge soup fans at our house. These one-pot meals are an easy way to feed the family in the winter. We also love a great bowl of chili.
At our house this soup my family loves a bit of cheese and sour cream on the top. I skip those and this recipe is dairy-free and gluten-free for me! This soup is so flavorful you don’t miss those items at all! I do love crushed tortilla chips on top and a few slices of avocado. YUM
This soup could be made with ground beef instead of chicken if you like! Black Beans corn tomato sauce diced tomatoes and shredded chicken make this a great recipe!
Easy Chicken taco soup Recipe
I add in all my own seasonings like chili powder and cumin so I know there is no hidden gluten in my soup. However, you can omit the spices and add a packet of taco seasoning and stir. Make this yummy soup in the Instant Pot and you can have it on the table in less than 30 minutes.
This recipe calls for a cup of water, I often will substitute beef or chicken broth. Frozen corn can be substituted for canned corn. I add a cup or two depending on what I have. We like black beans in this recipe but if you prefer pinto beans that is okay.
If you notice this recipe does not use a packet of taco seasoning. I always use homemade taco seasoning and you can see all the measurements in the recipe. Those spices could be omitted and a packet could be used.
Chicken Taco Soup
- 1 onion chopped
- 1 16 ounce can chili beans undrained
- 1 15 ounce can black beans rinsed and drained
- 1 15 ounce can whole kernel corn undrained
- 1 8 ounce can tomato sauce
- 1 14 ounce can diced tomatoes undrained
- 1 10 ounce cans diced tomatoes with green chilies undrained
- 2 pounds chicken breasts about 3 breasts, cubed
- 1 cup water (or broth)
- 1 tbsp chili powder
- 1/4 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/4 teaspoon onion powder
- 1/8-1/4 teaspoon crushed red pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon oregano
- 1/2 teaspoon paprika
- 1 1/2 teaspoon cumin
- 1 teaspoon Kosher salt (or 1/2 teaspoon table salt)
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- shredded Cheddar cheese (optional) optional
- sour cream optional
- crushed tortilla chips optional
- Place the onion, chili beans, black beans, corn, tomato sauce, water, chicken and diced tomatoes in a slow cooker. Add seasonings, and stir to blend.
- Crock Pot: Cook on low heat, cover, and cook for 6-8 hours. Instant Pot: Cook on high-pressure manual for 15 minutes with 10 min natural release.
- Serve topped with shredded Cheddar cheese, a dollop of sour cream, and crushed tortilla chips, if desired.
Soups make for an easy meal and my family loves them. Add a side of veggies and dip and it is all you need for an easy weeknight dinner. Here are some of our family’s faves. It is easy to make any of these soups in the slow cooker or Instant Pot. When using the Instant Pot just make sure you have enough liquid to make the pot pressurize.
I often make this for a friend that could use a meal. It is easy to put all the ingredients in a gallon zip loc bag. No need to cook the chicken first. I label the bag Slow Cooker Chicken Taco Soup with instructions to cook on low for 6-8 hours in the crock pot. They can cook now or place it in the refrigerator for another evening a meal would be helpful. We love this soup and it is always a hit. It can also be frozen!
Here are a few of our favorite Instant Pot and slow cooker recipes. Enjoy!
- Crockpot chicken nachos are easy to make and totally delicious.
- 5 Can Taco Soup (this one is beyond easy with cans and seasoning packets)
- Instant Pot Chicken and Dumplings
- Instant Pot Chili
- Slipt Pea Soup
- Lentil Soup (this one is for the Instant Pot) try this one for the Crock Pot, Slow Cooker Lentil Soup
- Turkey Noodle Soup
- The Best Chili Recipe (this one is my husband’s recipe and people have used it to win cook-off competitions)
I make a similar soup using a can of refried beans. It thickens the soup nicely.
Taco soup is a favorite. Thanks for the easy to follow recipe. It is a good one to take to friends who need a meal.
This soup is the ultimate comfort food and soo delicious!! Thanks for sharing!
I am obsessed with this soup! So much flavor and it makes a great hearty meal!
My family and I loved you Taco soup recipe! I will definitely make it again soon!
This taco soup is amazing and totally easy. I love all the flavors together. Thanks.
Love how the recipe calls for “1 shredded cheddar cheese”. Personally, I prefer a lot more cheese in my soup than 1 itty bitty shred!!