What if I told you that you could make these easy and delicious mashed potatoes in the Instant Pot? Believe me, just set up the pot, peel the potatoes add a few ingredients and in 15 minutes you with be mashing these Instant Pot Mashed Potatoes!
With Thanksgiving and Christmas right around the corner, it is so convenient to free up room on the stove and use an Instant Pot to cook your family’s favorite side dish! Why wait for the holidays to try this recipe?
Related: I’ve got a great Swiss Steak recipe and a heavenly Goulash recipe that would be wonderful with these potatoes!
PIN Instant Pot Mashed Potatoes on your board so you can make it again and again. Your family and friends will be so happy!
WATCH VIDEO AND LEARN HOW TO MAKE Mashed Potatoes in an Instant Pot
INGREDIENTS for Instant Pot Mashed Potatoes
Here’s more good news! Your shopping list will be very short for this recipe! Are you ready? You will need golden potatoes, chicken broth, chopped garlic, salt and pepper. See? (If you are going to add optional ingredients, check out the Substitutions and Additions section.)
You will need to make this recipe
- Golden Potatoes, medium-sized
- chicken broth
- chopped garlic
SUBSTITUTIONS OR ADDITIONS
I use Yukon Gold potatoes in this recipe, but you could probably substitute russet potatoes, too.
I use a potato masher in this recipe, but you could use an electric hand mixer, ricer or an immersion blender to achieve different textures for the finished product.
Chives are an attractive and delicious addition to these potatoes, as are other fresh herbs you have on hand!
If calories are not a concern, adding butter, parmesan cheese, cream cheese or sour cream to these potatoes is a delicious idea!
HOW TO MAKE Instant Pot Mashed Potatoes
1. Place 1 cup of chicken broth in the Instant Pot.
2. Add the peeled whole potatoes and garlic into the instant pot.
3. Place the lid on the instant pot and set the valve to seal.
4. Cook on manual pressure for 15 minutes.
5. When the timer goes off, turn the instant pot off.
6. Quick release the pressure from the pot.
7. Mash potatoes adding more liquid as needed. I add about ½ cup more
8. Mash until smooth.
8. Season with salt and pepper
Serving and Storage
Serve these potatoes as a side dish, as a bed for Swiss Steak or Meat Gravy, or topped with your favorite topping!
Store any leftovers in the refrigerator in an airtight container. Since potatoes are nutrient rich, it is important to refrigerate leftovers as soon as possible!
Instant Pot Mashed Potatoes
- 1 Instant Pot
- 5 Pounds Golden Potatoes medium-sized, peeled
- 1 ½ cups chicken broth
- 2 teaspoons chopped garlic
- Place 1 cup of chicken broth in the Instant Pot.
- Add the peeled whole potatoes and garlic into the instant pot.
- Place the lid on the instant pot and set the valve to seal.
- Cook on manual pressure for 15 minutes.
- When the timer goes off, turn the instant pot off.
- Quick release the pressure from the pot.
- Mash potatoes adding more liquid as needed. I add about ½ cup more
- Mash until smooth.
- Season with salt and pepper
More Recipes to Try
I hope you enjoyed my instant pot mashed potatoes recipe today! My family and I are huge fans of natures’ perfect potassium source! In case you were curious, I do have MORE amazing recipes starring, you guessed it, POTATOES!!!
Leave me a comment below telling me about your favorite potato recipe!
I would love to keep you fully stocked with creative ideas, yummy recipes, fun crafts, and loads of free printables. Subscribe to Skip to my Lou to get new ideas delivered to your inbox. Follow me on Facebook, Pinterest, Twitter, and Instagram for all my latest updates.