Make friends feel special with simple gifts for Valentines Day! I have everything you need with my Valentine Gift Tag Bundle. It is now 75% OFF. Learn More
Instant Pot Goulash is another quick and easy pressure cooker recipe. In about 20 minutes you can have this delicious dinner on the table. It is even dairy and gluten-free, but it doesn’t taste like it is missing anything.
The pressure cooker has saved dinnertime at my house. My kids will even say that we wouldn’t eat if it wasn’t for the Instant Pot. I have been a fan for years. Here are some of our family favorite Instant Pot recipes.
You probably already have everything you need to make this recipe right in your pantry.
What is Goulash made of?
Typically American Goulash is made with seasoned beef, elbow macaroni, and tomatoes, In some areas, this dish is called “slumgullion”. For my recipe you will need:
- Garlic (for ease I use minced jarred)
- Italian seasoning
- Cayenne pepper
- Canned diced tomatoes
- Tomato paste
- Tomato sauce
- Fusilli (Rotini) Pasta (gluten-free works great – see notes)
- Chicken broth
- Bay leaves ( I sometimes use 1 but this is optional)
In the US we have changed it up a bit and added in pasta. Traditionally Hungarian Goulash is a stew of meat and vegetables usually seasoned with paprika and other spices. It might be served over pasta or mashed potatoes or eaten as a stew. We make it easy by throwing the pasta right in so it cooks all cooks in one pot.
Instant Pot Goulash Recipe
Begin by browning the ground beef until it is no longer pink on the Instant Pot saute function. I save time by adding in the onions with the hamburger. Drain fat from the meat. Add in the garlic for a minute or two. Stir in the rest of the ingredients. Set the cook time for 5 minutes at high pressure. When it is finished use quick release. Season with salt and pepper to taste. Serve with a big salad for a hearty and healthy meal.
The pressure cooker will take about 5 – 10 minutes to seal. You will easily have dinner on the table in less than 30 minutes start to finish.
Quick and easy goulash. Delicious and made in about 20 minutes.
- 1 lb lean ground beef
- 1 onion chopped
- 1 bell pepper any color seeded and diced
- 3 teaspoons garlic minced
- 1 14.5 ounce can diced tomatoes with the juice
- 1 6 ounce tomato paste
- 1/4 t cayenne pepper
- 1 t Italian seasoning
- 1 t paprika
- 1 8 oz can tomato sauce
- 4 cups chicken broth
- 4 cups Rotini pasta uncooked
Turn Pressure Cooker on to Sauté function and brown the ground beef and chopped onion. Drain any fat. Add garlic and sauté a couple of minutes. Add in remaining ingredients and stir. Make sure there is no food stuck to the bottom of the pot. Seal lid. Cook at high pressure for 5 minutes.
If you can have dairy it is delicious topped with shredded cheddar cheese.
- I used gluten-free Brown Rice and Quinoa Fusilli from Aldi’s
- I was out of chicken broth so I used chicken bouillon to make the broth and it worked great. I often find it makes it more flavorful.
- This recipe might be slightly saucier than a typical American goulash. This is by design so that there is enough liquid to cook the dry noodles and also allow the pressure cooker to seal.
I hope you love this pressure cooker goulash! I think the electric pressure cooker did a fantastic job of cooking up tender noodles in a savory sauce! YUM. Let me know what you think!