Want to try the best Chili Recipe? While I was away last week my husband George came up with his own Chili Recipe. Thankfully he saved me a bowl because it is really good. I mean really good, like the best chili recipe. In fact, if you read the comments someone used this recipe and won a contest.
Maybe I should change the name to award-winning chili recipe. So if you have searched for the best homemade chili recipe I think we have one for you. You will love the slow-cooked chili full of flavor! Thank you, George!
How do you make hearty chili?
Just follow the instructions and you will have a blue ribbon chili! I think adding a can of diced tomatoes and green chilis along with the other tomatoes give it a nice flavor. My husband says it is the beer that makes this chili. Another difference might be the omission of tomato sauce. He used three different kinds of beans. I would make sure to use western style ranch beans and the mild chili beans, but you could substitute black beans or kidney beans drained for the pinto beans. Be careful though with substitutions. From the comments, this recipe is good as is.
Grab a large pot and let’s get cooking. I think you could also use a slow cooker for this recipe. Just be sure you are stirring occasionally.
What ingredients do you need for chili?
- Lean ground beef
- Ground sausage (we like sage flavored)
- Chopped onion
- Chopped garlic (I know some people substitute garlic powder NOT garlic salt, but we always use fresh and a garlic press)
- Chili powder
- Cayenne pepper (ground red pepper)
- Tomato Paste
- Beef Broth
- Canned diced tomatoes
- Rotel, diced tomatoes and green chilies
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Beer (George’s special ingredient)
The Best Chili Recipe
So here it is an award winning chili recipe! You will see loads of information online about how to thicken chili. If you ever need to do that just make a slurry with about of a 1/4 cup of the chili liquid and 2 tablespoons flour or cornstarch if gluten-free. However, you won’t need to thicken this recipe. In fact, one of the commenters added a bit more beef broth to make it a little less thick.
George's Chili Recipe
The best chili recipe.. rich, robust and super delicious! Top with sour cream, cheddar cheese and jalapeños to really throw it over the top.
- 2 lbs lean ground beef
- 1 cup chopped onion
- 1 lb sage sausage
- 7 to 8 cloves garlic finely chopped
- 2 tablespoons chili powder
- 2 teaspoons ground cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon ground red pepper cayenne
- 1 teaspoon paprika
- 2- 6 oz cans tomato paste
- 1 3/4 cups beef broth
- 1-12 ounce bottle dark beer or ale George used Ale
- 3-8 ounce cans diced tomatoes with juice
- 2-15 oz cans southwest style pinto beans
- 1-15 oz can mild chili beans beans
- 1-15 oz can western style ranch beans
- 1-10 can mild Rotel diced tomatoes and green chilies undrained
- salt and pepper to taste
- In a stock pot, over medium high heat brown beef and sausage, drain. Add in onion and garlic and cook over medium heat 8 to 10 minutes, stirring occasionally, until onions are translucent.
- Add all the spices and cook 5 minutes over medium heat. Stir in tomato paste and let cook while opening the lids on all the cans. Add remaining chili ingredients; stir until combined. Heat to boiling for a few minutes and stir constantly then reduce heat to low. Cover, simmer 4 hours stirring about every 20 minutes to prevent sticking to the bottom of the pot.
- Serve with crackers, cheese, or other things such as chopped jalapeño peppers or chopped fresh onions.
Now you know how to make the best chili EVER! I do hope you love this beef chili, it really doesn’t even need any of these toppings!
What toppings go with chili?
We love our chili topped with:
- chopped onions
- shredded cheddar cheese.
- sour cream
- salsa or ketchup (I am not a fan of this, but I see so many people pour on the ketchup)
What sides go with chili?
Serve any of these ideas with chili
- World’s Best Cornbread. (I promise you this recipe doesn’t disappoint)
- Saltine Crackers
- Corn chips
- Veggies – We always serve veggies and homemade ranch dip alongside
- Hot Dogs – YUM! Chili Cheese Dog!
- Grilled Cheese
- French Fries – This recipe would make great chili cheese fries
What do you serve with your chili?
Is chili healthy?
Of course, it depends on the individual ingredients in your recipe (and what you serve it with), but most chili recipes are packed full of nutrients that are good for you. The meat and beans provide protein. The beans also provide fiber and iron. Tomatoes and tomato paste are an excellent source of vitamin C. Vitamin C helps to improve your body’s immune system and can help keep you healthy. Onions are healthy whether they’re raw or cooked! They contain fiber and folic acid, and a B vitamin that helps the body make healthy new cells. Onions are healthy whether they’re raw or cooked! Garlic is rich in vitamin C, vitamin B6, and manganese. Make chili more healthy by choosing your ingredients wisely. Go for low sodium canned tomatoes to cut down on salt. Consider adding in extra veggies like carrots and bell peppers. This recipe does use sausage which would make it a bit higher in fat. Feel free to substitute lean ground beef for the sausage. My weight loss soup is another healthy soup with loads of benefits to your body.
More Chili Recipes
If you love a good chili try my Cincinnati Chili. It is served over noodles. I love serving this recipe to a crowd. If you like those one-pot meals my chili mac can be made in a skillet. If you need a quick chili in 30 minutes that tastes like it cooked all day we also love this pressure cooker chili. It makes a super quick and delicious weeknight dinner. During the winter I think we are eating chili weekly so the pressure cooker makes for a quick meal.
What is the best way to cook chili in a slow cooker?
When we have all day to let something cook Crock Pot Chili is always a crowd pleaser. It is a great stress-free recipe when company is coming over. Slow cooker chili is so easy. In fact, I am going to put George’ Chili recipe in the slow cooker soon! This is how I would do it. In a skillet place ground beef, onion, garlic, and cook. Drain off any fat. Place beef, onion, garlic and remaining ingredients In 4- to 5-quart slow cooker. Cover and cook on Low heat setting 6 to 8 hours.
Chili is a great meal for a crowd. When a have a lot of mouths to feed we also serve walking tacos. They are always a huge hit!
Your search for the best chili is over! I hope you love this great recipe. My husband loves it. (He is a bit partial but it looks like he is not alone. Enjoy!
What are your favorite chili toppings? Since I am gluten free I love corn chips to give a bit of crunch when others are using saltines.
If you need a quick dinner try this taco soup! I always keep the ingredients on hand when I need a last minute meal.