This super easy drawing tutorial will teach you how to draw a star with a ruler and pencil in no time! Just follow my step-by-step instructions for this five-pointed star drawing and get ready to shine.
Learning how to make a hand-drawn star is a great skill to have and I know you will be successful with this super fun star sketch! What color will you choose?
This article contains affiliate links.
Superstar supplies for all things drawing
Here’s a list of my favorite drawing supplies, in case you were wondering what I use or if you need to refill your own supply.
- Sketching Pencils
- Kneaded Rubber Eraser
- Sketch Pad
- Erasable Colored Pencils
- Fine markers
- Sketch and Drawing Art Pencil Set
- Artist drawing set (This is great for new and experienced artists. It’s also something I give as a gift.)
Are you ready to Draw this Star?
Let’s get started!
- Find the middle of paper and draw a dot with your pencil about 2 1/2 inches down from the top of your paper. (I am using an 8 1/2 by 11-inch piece of paper.) From the dot, use your ruler to draw your first line down on the left side of the paper. Stop about 3 inches from the bottom. Then draw your second line down on the right side of paper, stopping about 3 inches from the bottom like the first line.
2. Use your ruler to draw a line across the paper about 2 inches below the top of the star. The line should be the same length as the first and second lines. Use your ruler to measure. (As you practice more and more, you won’t need to use a ruler, I promise!)
3. Here’s where the magic happens! Use your ruler to connect the points of your star drawing. Draw from the bottom of the left line to the end of the right line. Then draw from the bottom of the right line to the end of the left line. (Can you see the internal pentagon shape you created? How many isosceles triangle shapes can you see?)
4. It is time to erase the internal lines and outline the outside of your star. I like to use pen ink to outline, but you could use crayons or markers, too.
5. I’m choosing to color my star with a yellow marker because I want to use this for a Christmas Tree picture. If you want to make this star for a night sky picture, what color would you use?
Before you Go
Congratulations on making it to the end of this step-by-step guide. I hope you liked my easy star drawing ideas because you never know when you might need to draw one. Drop a comment below and tell me what you thought of this drawing lesson!
I’ve included more super fun and easy drawing step-by-step tutorials. Let me know what else you want to learn to draw in the comments below!
- How to Draw the Grinch is perfect for beginners!
- How to Draw an Apple is another great drawing for kids of all ages.
- How to Draw an Orange will have you feeling confident in your artistic skills in a flash.
- How to Draw a Banana is quick and easy, too.
- How to Draw a Snowman is another quick, fun and super easy picture to try.