Felt Advent Calendar Tutorial
November is going to be a great month at Skip to my Lou! Today starts the amazing Holiday Bake Craft & Crochet Series. Yes, we have added crochet tutorials too! By the end of the month Thirty Handmade Days, Your Homebased Mom and I will have shared over 100 fabulous handmade gift tutorials.
Be sure to head over to Your Homebased Mom for loads of edible gift recipes and Thirty Handmade Days will help us craft the perfect handmade holiday. I will be sharing sewn and crocheted gift tutorials. We even have some incredible giveaways. Each day be sure to visit the guest poster’s blog for a chance to win BIG! Up for grabs is a Cricut cutting machine, a Blendtec blender, a Baby Lock sewing machine and a $300 Michaels gift card! Grab a new entry every day!
It’s that time of year to start thinking about Advent calendars! Yay! I love all types of Advent calendars and kids absolutely love having something to look forward every day. While these calendars are rooted in religious tradition they can be fun for everyone. Who doesn’t love a count down?? And who wouldn’t want this as a GIFT?!
This Advent calendar is done as a Jesse Tree but you can make your daily ornaments whatever you want. I used the Advent Jesse Tree book as an idea of the ornaments to make. Though if you google Jesse Tree you can find tons and tons of printable samples.
Other Advent Tree Ideas:
- An ornament a day with a photo of a family member
- An ornament a day with a quote, verse or fun saying
- An ornament a day with a suggested activity to follow
- 1 1/2 yard background felt
- 3/4 yard green felt for the tree
- 1/4 yard of 5 different colors felt for pockets
- 25 buttons
- 1/8″ ribbon
- rod or dowel for hanging calendar
- hot glue or fabric glue
- Use a pencil to outline the shape of your tree on the green felt. Cut.
- Pin the tree to the background felt, leaving about 4″ at the top. Sew around the edge using a straight stitch or a satin stitch.
- Cut 5 pockets of each color, 3.5″ square each.
- Sew or paint on numbers on each pocket. (optional)
- Pin and sew pockets to background felt, leaving the top open.
- Create ornaments with felt as desired.
- Cut 3″ strips of ribbon, glue to back of ornaments to make a loop.
- Sew 25 buttons onto tree.
- Fold top of background felt back 1″. Sew to create a pocket for the dowel.
- Sew a ribbon to the back for hanging. (optional)
That’s it! Who would you give this to?
This is a simple project but does take time so get started now! Stop by my blog, Andrea’s Notebook, for tons of great DIY inspiration! You’ll find crafts, sewing, recipes, organization and much more!