Make Somebodys Day! Send Good Vibes. Everything you need over 50% OFF. Learn More
It’s that time of year to start thinking about Advent calendars! This felt advent calendar tutorial is perfect to get started. I love all types of Advent calendars and kids absolutely love having something to look forward to every day.
While these calendars are rooted in religious tradition they can be fun for everyone. Who doesn’t love a countdown?? And who wouldn’t want this as a GIFT?!
This post contains affiliate links.
This Advent calendar is done as a Jesse Tree but you can make your daily ornaments whatever you want. I used the Advent Jesse Tree book as an idea for the ornaments to make. Though if you google Jesse Tree you can find tons and tons of printable samples. This is a simple project but does take time so get started now!
Supplies For The Advent Calendar:
- 1 1/2 yard background felt
- 3/4 yard green felt for the tree
- 1/4 yard of 5 different colors felt for pockets
- 25 buttons
- 1/8″ ribbon
- rod or dowel for hanging calendar
- hot glue or fabric glue
- Use a pencil to outline the shape of your tree on the green felt. Cut.
- Pin the tree to the background felt, leaving about 4″ at the top. Sew around the edge using a straight stitch or a satin stitch.
- Cut 5 pockets of each color, 3.5″ square each.
- Sew or paint on numbers on each pocket. (optional)
- Pin and sew pockets to the background felt, leaving the top open.
- Create ornaments with felt as desired.
- Cut 3″ strips of ribbon, and glue them to the back of the ornaments to make a loop.
- Sew 25 buttons onto the tree.
- Fold the top of the background felt back 1″. Sew to create a pocket for the dowel.
- Sew a ribbon to the back for hanging. (optional)
Time to get sewing! I love Advent Calendars so I and thrilled to share this tutorial from Andrea’s Notebook.
Other Advent Tree Ideas:
- An ornament a day with a photo of a family member
- An ornament a day with a quote, verse, or fun saying
- An ornament a day with a suggested activity to follow
More Advent Calendars
- FREE Printable Advent Calendar with loads of fun activities! focuses on bringing the family together and spending time with each other.
- Printable Nativity Advent Calendar you will count down the days to Christmas with fun activities.
- DIY Advent Calendar With Cricut Easy Press with a few simple steps, this beautiful project will make the holiday extra special!
- Hotel Transylvania 3 Advent Calendar Making an Advent Calendar couldn’t be any easier with the free printables.
- Reindeer Advent Calendar is so easy a child can make it!
- Midnight Christmas Village DIY Advent Activity Calendar is the perfect DIY Advent activity calendar to count down the days to Christmas!
- Turn a wooden yardstick into the perfect Advent Calendar For Boys.
- Recycled Advent Calendar is a perfect family craft and you get to re-use K-Cups that could be filling up a landfill!
- Years ago we made a few families an Advent Calendar and they loved it. How to make an Advent Calendar by Skip to my Lou
- Printable Stocking Advent Calendar is 24 pillow box stockings, just perfect for a small candy and or a slip of paper with an idea for a family activity.
Did you enjoy making your own Advent Calendar? What was your favorite ornament made from this Felt Advent Calendar Tutorial?