Make Somebodys Day! Send Good Vibes. Everything you need over 50% OFF. Learn More
Tulip May Day Basket is a darling craft for the kids to help with as you prepare to surprise your neighbors for May Day! My favorite holiday to create and deliver unexpected sweet baskets to my neighbors is May Day and if your kids are like mine, they love the ding and dash that goes along with delivering a surprise!
I LOVE May Day and LOVE giving surprises, so I hope you and your family will start a new tradition and surprise your neighbors with a May basket this year! (Neighbors can be anyone, not just the people next door!)
History of May Day
Are you new to the May Day Celebration idea? If so, here is a little history. May Day is an ancient celebration of Spring and new beginnings. In European cultures, May Day is often celebrated with dancing, singing, and cake!
At some celebrations, a Queen of May or May Queen is crowned and celebrants dance around a Maypole.
Here at Skip to My Lou, our May Day celebrations revolve around creating baskets filled with sweets and flowers to surprise our neighbors! Please check out more of my May Day Ideas.
Supplies for Tulip May Day Basket
You will be surprised at how easy and fun this basket is to make! Gather these supplies and get ready to create something beautiful!
- red paper
- green paper
- white cardstock
- hole punch
- glue stick
How To Make Paper Tulips
Who would have thought paper could create such pretty flowers!
- Download and spring the may basket printable on white cardstock. Use the tulip and stem template to cut out one stem and three tulip petals for each flower. Be sure to place the tulip petal on the fold of the paper when cutting.
- Cut a piece of green paper about 1 1/2 inches wide by 8 1/2 inches long to cover the skewer. If you want the paper to completely cover the skewer then turn the paper so you can cut the strip 1 1/2 inches by 11 inches. Fold the paper in half and place the skewer inside and glue shut.
- Open one tulip petal flat. Glue a folded tulip petal on one side.
- Glue the third petal to the right side
- Glue the tulip to the stem and add a leaf. You can trim the top of the stem like I did in the picture if you like.
- Make as many tulips as you like!
- Fold up the May Day basket and glue it together. Punch a hole on each side and add a ribbon handle.
- Place the tulips in the basket, and add a bit of tissue paper if you like.
Now you are ready to hang…
More May Day Fun
I am so happy you stopped by today and I really hope you will celebrate May Day this year! Here are more ideas for you and your family! Please leave a comment below to let me know how your celebration went!
Give Pinterest-worthy gifts that teachers love without all the work!
Over 200 done for you printables will help you make giving awesome teacher gifts EASY!