Adorn your Thanksgiving table with a paper Mayflower Ship. Fill the origami Mayflower with a sweet treat and set at each place setting for a special favor. Your guests might also like this Thanksgiving Trivia and Conversation Starters. The kids will love these Thanksgiving coloring pages.
Paper folding is a fun activity! Have you ever tried making an origami crane? It would be another way to keeps hand busy after a family dinner.
How to make an Origami Mayflower Ship
This paper Mayflower Ship is really easy to make when using the free printable papers and folding instructions. First, download the printable boat and sail papers. Print in color on regular copy paper. You can always use brown construction paper for the boat if you would rather.
Download Mayflower Ship Printable
For the top flag, there are some options for you to choose. You might even consider adding a name to the plain ones.
Following the instructions below fold the brown paper.
How to fold a paper Mayflower Ship
- With printed side up fold the printable Mayflower Ship paper in half width-wise, with folded edge away from you.
- Fold in two top corners of the folded edge to meet at the middle, forming a triangle with a double-layer flap sticking out underneath.
- Fold front layer of the flap up to front; fold back layer flap up to back.
- Fold the end of the front flaps to the back.
- Fold the end of the back sides around to the front.
- Take hold of center front and back of triangle and pull apart, pushing in opposite corners so they lie flat against each other, creating a diamond shape.
- Fold front and back bottom corners of the diamond up front and back, respectively, to meet at the top corner.
- You should now have an open-bottomed triangle.
- Pull wings at top gently apart, forming half of the ship. You may need to pop up the center and smooth the sides to form the boat.
Needing a bit extra help folding the origami Mayflower ship? No worries just watch the video.
[brid autoplay=”true” video=”454185″ player=”18814″ title=”Origami Mayflower Ship” description=”In just a few easy folds turn a piece of printable paper into a Mayflower Ship.” duration=”70″ uploaddate=”2019-08-22 15:08:03″ thumbnailurl=”//cdn.brid.tv/live/partners/14570/thumb/454185_t_1566486472.png”]
Once you have folded the brown paper into a boat, cut out the sails. Use a wooden skewer to attach the sails to the boat. Use a glue stick to attach the give thanks flag to the top.
A few fun facts about the Mayflower Ship
- What year did the Mayflower set sail? 1620
- How long did it take for the Mayflower to cross the Atlantic ocean? 66 days
- How many babies were born on the Mayflower? Oceanus Hopkins (1620—1626) was the only child born on the Mayflower during its voyage.
- Who is the captain of the Mayflower? Christopher Jones
- What did the people on the Mayflower eat? The passengers brought dried meat and fish, grains and flour, dried fruit, cheese, hard biscuits, and other foods with them. They had to eat the food they brought until they could plant and harvest food.
- The Mayflower Ship carried how many passengers? 102 passengers