Make Somebodys Day! Send Good Vibes. Everything you need over 50% OFF. Learn More
This Leprechaun Trap is the perfect DIY Leprechaun Trap. What sneaky Leprechaun would not be curious about a rainbow and free gold coins on the night before St. Patrick’s Day?
We’ve put a lot of thought into the best way to catch a Leprechaun here at Skip to My Lou! And for some other St. Patrick’s Day fun, how about trying these Leprechaun Coloring Pages?
Leprechaun Trap Kit Supplies
- printable leprechaun trap (download PDF files below)
- glue stick
- 3/4 inch circle punch
- treats (Skittles candy are festive, chocolate coins, Lucky Charms cereal)
DIY LEPRECHAUN Trap free Printables
You will need to download both pages.
How to Make a Leprechaun Trap easy
- Download the two files and print them on color on white card stock. The copies will be most vibrant if you upload the files to a local copy shop like Office Depot. Cut away the note and footprints before you begin this project so the children don’t see these details.
- Use a 3/4 inch circle punch to easily cut the gold and footprints.
- Fold along the white dotted line between the rainbow and grass. Cut apart the grass piece with the rock path. Glue the grass along the rainbow to the grass with the path. Do this for both ends creating curved the rainbow.
- Glue the wooden doors to each end of the rainbow.
- Glue the “Free Gold” Sign beside the opening to the rainbow.
- Fold the stick in half and glue. Use this stick to prop open the door. Sprinkle gold around the front and inside the rainbow. The trap is now set!
- When the kids are not looking place the note inside the back of the rainbow along with a treat.
- Close both trap doors and glue footprints entering the rainbow….
- Now glue footprints leaving the rainbow.
Of course, make this trap your own by adding your own creative flair! How about fluffy cotton ball clouds around the rainbow, add some glitter to the rainbow, or cut out some lucky shamrocks to add to the grass. The sky is the limit!
It will be fun to watch the kids race to the trap on St. Patrick’s Day and see that they did, indeed, attract a Leprechaun who left them a kind note and a treat, too! Please let us know in the comments how it worked!
More easy Leprechaun TRap ideas
Take a look at these other homemade Leprechaun Trap ideas! You can create an awesome STEM activity/competition to see which design is the most effective trap! Green paper, popsicle sticks, pipe cleaners, paper rolls, and hot glue are just a few materials you will need for these 3 easy traps for Leprechauns.
Let the sneaky guy step up a ladder made of straws and pipe cleaners and get strapped in the jar when he tries to gather the plastic gold coins.
A cardboard cereal box or shoebox covered in green construction paper propped up with a wooden dowel will surely catch him as he walks along the rainbow path into cotton ball clouds to get the gold.
Green paper formed into a cylinder and embellished with a black band and gold buckle make the perfect top hat. He will scurry up the ladder to steal the pot of gold (Rolos work perfectly for this) but instead fall through the secret trap door.
More St Patrick’s Day Crafts!
I would love to keep you fully stocked with creative ideas, yummy recipes, fun crafts, and loads of free printables. Subscribe to Skip to my Lou to get new ideas delivered to your inbox. Follow me on Facebook, Pinterest, Twitter, and Instagram for all my latest updates.
What a fun idea!! My kids are all about doing things like this. They’ll have a blast setting this up!
This was always one of my favorite traditions growing up. I can’t wait to do this with the littles in my life!
Krista Ferow says
Thank you so much for this. I am so happy I found your page because I want to make this with my kids and had no clue where to begin!