William G. Morgan developed the game of volleyball in 1895, and since then it has become one of the most popular international sports all over the world. In this guide demonstrates step-by-step instructions on how to draw a volleyball just like the professionals. You will find out how to create the overall shape, including the exact details like the seams and then even add color and shadows for a lifelike appearance.
Whether you are someone who loves art or a passionate volleyball player, this volleyball drawing guide is for you. Let us honor this team sport and volleyball players by creating an amazing artwork using simple steps that captures the energy and attractiveness of volleyball.
Supplies needed to draw a Volleyball
- Sketching Pencils
- Kneaded Rubber Eraser
- Sketch Pad
- Erasable Colored Pencils
- Fine markers
- Sketch and Drawing Art Pencil Set
- Artist drawing set (This is great for new and experienced artists. It’s also something I give as a gift.)
Step-by-Step Guide: How to Draw a Volleyball
Volleyball is a popular recreational activity which has many admirers globally. If you are a young artist or simply a fan of the game, then you will find it gratifying to learn how to draw a volleyball. This is one of the drawing guides that would not only teach you how to make an impressive but also improve your drawing skills. So grab your pencil and let’s get started!
Step 1 – Draw a circle and add section lines
Using a light pencil, draw a large perfect circle in the center of your paper. This will be the outline of your volleyball. Add section lines. Draw three equally spaced straight lines. Draw them with light touch so that they can be easily erased later.
Step 2 – Add slightly curved line
Draw a curved line from the center point to the edges of the section lines as shown in the reference image.
Step 3 – Add curved lines to each section at equal lengths
Draw six curved lines inside the circle to represent the seams of the volleyball. These curved lines should be equally spaced. You can do this by marking the halfway point on each section and then drawing a curve from the top of the section to the bottom. Make sure that each curve follows the shape of the circle to make the volleyball look more realistic.
Step 4 – Trace using Black marker
Take a black marker and trace over the curved lines that you drew in previous step to make them more prominent. Use light pressure to make sure the lines are not too thick.
Step 5 – Erase the section lines and our volleyball is ready
Use an eraser to carefully remove the original pencil lines of the circle and section lines that you drew in the earlier steps. Be sure to erase the lines completely, but avoid erasing any of the black marker lines or shading you have added.
Tips and Tricks
Here are some tips and tricks to help you draw a volleyball like a pro:
- Use a light touch when drawing the circle and the seams so you can easily erase.
- Use reference images: If you’re having trouble getting the proportions of the volleyball right, try using reference images as a guide. You can find plenty of images of volleyballs online or in magazines that you can use as a reference to help you get the shape and details just right.
- Experiment with different art tools: There are plenty of different art tools you can use to create your volleyball drawing, from a dark pencil to markers. Try experimenting with different tools to see which ones you prefer and which ones give you the best results.
- Don’t be too hard on yourself: Remember, everyone starts somewhere, and even experienced artists make mistakes. Don’t be too hard on yourself if your volleyball drawing doesn’t turn out exactly how you wanted it to. Keep practicing and you’ll improve over time.
- Have fun with it: Drawing should be a fun and enjoyable experience, so don’t be afraid to experiment and try new things. Use your creativity and have fun with your volleyball drawing!
Drawing a simple volleyball may seem like a daunting task, but with with the help of some basic art tools, a little guidance and practice, anyone can create a stunning, realistic and easy drawing. Whether you’re an artist looking to improve your skills or a volleyball player wanting to showcase your love for the sport, this complete guide is for you. So grab your pencils, paper, and let’s create a masterpiece that pays tribute to William G. Morgan’s invention and the beauty of volleyball.
More interesting how to draw tutorials
After completing this volleyball drawing, why not continue your drawing journey with one of these fun and exciting drawing activities? This website offers a variety of easy-to-follow tutorials for all skill levels.
- If you’re a dog lover, you might want to check out our popular guide on How to draw a dog. If cats are more your thing, our easy-to-follow steps on How to draw a cat will help you create an adorable feline in no time.
- For those who love nature, why not try our guide on How to draw a butterfly? You’ll learn how to create a beautiful butterfly with intricate details and patterns.
- If you’re in the mood for something seasonal, our guide on How to draw a Pumpkin will teach you how to make a realistic looking pumpkin complete with a cool stem.
- And if you’re feeling brave, why not try your How to draw a lion with our step-by-step tutorial.
- If you want to add a little buzz to your artwork, check out our tutorial on How to draw a Bee.