Homemade taco seasoning is a healthy alternative to the store-bought version. You can pronounce all the ingredients and know exactly what you are eating. So if you are wanting to get more healthy give this yummy seasoning a try!
For a few more meal ideas with a Mexican flare try my walking tacos, Mexican Skillet Rice or Southwestern Salad! Did you know you can even make your own tortilla bowls? Fill them up with taco meat, salad and all the fixings for a delicious dinner.
What is in taco seasoning?
Most likely you will have all these spices in your cabinet and can whip up this homemade taco seasoning anytime!
- Chili Powder – a blend of chili peppers and spices that gives a deep rich flavor and Southwestern flavor
- Cumin – is a distinctive flavor with an earthy, nutty, spicy taste. Commonly used in Mexican, Middle Eastern, and Indian dishes
- onion powder –
- crushed red pepper flakes – typically are made up of cayenne peppers. can use ½ teaspoon of cayenne powder per ¾ teaspoon of Red Pepper Flakes
- garlic powder
- Oregano – a robust herb with a peppery flavor, pairs well with tomato making it perfect for both Mexican and Italian cuisines
- black pepper
Unlike storebought taco seasoning packets, this one is naturally gluten-free. Just make sure all your spices are gluten-free. They should be naturally gluten free if they are pure and not a blend, but sometimes could be processed on equipment that processes gluten. Another bonus with making your own taco seasoning is that you can control the salt if you are watching your salt intake.
How do I make homemade taco seasoning?
This homemade taco seasoning recipe is super simple and can be used in any Mexican recipe. I love it in my taco soup. It also makes a great taco salad. Use it for ground turkey or ground beef. It is a great recipe! If you like spicy food add a bit more red pepper flakes. You can make a big batch of this homemade taco seasoning mix then you can have it on hand any time you need it.
Homemade Taco Seasoning
Never buy storebought taco seasoning again. This delicious recipe takes out all the fillers and chemicals and gives you only homemade goodness.
- 1 tablespoon chili powder
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/4 teaspoon onion powder
- 1/4 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
- 1/4 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1/2 teaspoon paprika
- 1 1/2 teaspoons ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
- Mix together. Store in an air tight container.
- To make taco meat. Brown about 1 pound meat and drain off fat. Add all spices and about 1/3 - 1/2 cup water. Cook, stirring frequently until most of the liquid is absorbed. Now you are ready to make delicious tacos!
What can you make with taco seasoning?
I use this homemade taco seasoning to make taco meat. But you can also use it for chicken and port too. It makes a great rub. It can be substituted in any recipe that calls for a package of taco seasoning mix. I use it to make this delicious taco soup. It is also the mix I use in this Instant Pot Taco Soup.
How do you make taco meat?
This recipe makes a great ground beef taco seasoning. Brown about 1 pound meat and drain off fat. Add all spices and about 1/3 – 1/2 cup water. Cook, stirring frequently until most of the liquid is absorbed. Now you are ready to make delicious ground beef tacos!
I hope you love this taco seasoning recipe! Let me know what you think.