Top 50 BEST Elf On the Shelf Ideas
These Elf on the Shelf ideas will bring your family loads of fun this holiday. Do you have an elf that visits your house? Whether you are having an elf come to visit for the first time or this is a regular event at your house, these Elf on the Shelf ideas are sure to wow your kids!
What’s the point of Elf on a Shelf?
The elf in question is a character from a children’s book, The Elf on the Shelf published in 2005, which tells the story of how Santa sent an elf to every home to spy on children and report back whether they had been ‘naughty’ or ‘nice’. To help keep the belief that the Elf is real, each night the elf goes to report to Santa and is found the next morning in a new spot. Each day the elf performs various antics. Don’t worry we have tons of Elf on the shelf ideas. Just keep scrolling to learn more.
What date does the Elf on the Shelf come back?
Your elf can arrive anytime during the holidays, but typically he or she will arrive at the beginning of your family’s holiday celebrations and return to the North Pole with Santa Claus on Christmas Eve. Santa sends most of his Elves out during Elf Return Week, which runs from November 25 to December 2. These free printable arrival letters are a great way to get things started.
What does the Elf on the Shelf do?
The Elf on the Shelf gets their magic by being named and being loved by a child. Once the elf is named, the elf receives its special Christmas magic, which allows it to fly to and from the North Pole.
Elf on the Shelf Ideas
Is your elf naughty or nice? You can pick with these clever and fun ideas.
Let your Elf on the Shelf help your children to be kind this holiday season! Print off these Elf on the Shelf Kindness Cards.
Elf coming out of the box. This is easy to create. Simply grab a cereal box and some scissors.
Elf roasting marshmallows over a fake candle. You can pull this one of really easy.
Elf in a rocket ship. This year have your elf make a blast of an entrance. He can arrive on a rocket ship!
Elf on a Shelf in a kissing booth. This free printable make the cutest elf kissing booth! You can have a lot of fun with this cute idea!
Cute Random Acts of Kindness Elf Arrival Letter and gift ideas for your Elf on the Shelf. Encourages kids to give back and be Secret Santa.
This simple to make free Christmas printable Gift Holder easily holds a gift card, sticks of gum, notes, Lego Minifigures, stickers and other small flat items.
Elf in a plane. It’s a bird, it’s a plane… no it’s your elf.
Make a paper chain countdown… too cute.
Let you elf do some acrobatic tricks.
25 More EASY Elf on the Shelf Ideas
Need a simple last minute idea? These ideas are easy to do!
- Put your elf’s legs inside to rolls of wrapping paper to make elf on stilts. Stick the wrapping paper rolls inside a pair of boots.
- Make a bubble bath with mini marshmallows in the bathroom sink.
- Use a dry erase marker to make funny faces on the family portraits.
- Set your elf up to play with barbies or other toys.
- Make a snow angel in flour or powder sugar.
- Hang dirty socks on the Christmas tree.
- Toilet paper the Christmas tree.
- Trap the elf inside a glass cup with a note that says HELP.
- Sit the elf’s backside over the toilet and drop starlight peppermint mints in the toilet.
- Make an elf zip line. Simply hang a string across a room and hook the elf on with candy canes.
- Put two mini marshmallows on a toothpick and have your elf be lifting weights.
- Use washi tape to tape the elf to a door.
- Put your Elf to sleep inside a long kleenex box (like a bed).
- Put your elf and a few other dolls inside brown lunch sacks and make a paper bag race.
- Set the elf up with a straw inside syrup for a sticky treat.
- Have your elf use crepe paper to block off a bedroom door.
- Have your elf deliver a puzzle and finish half of it.
- Watch the weather and have your elf deliver a snowman kit.
- Deliver cookie decorating supplies from your elf.
- Set up a toy army to capture your elf.
- Tuck your elf in the cookie jar.
- Set the elf on a date with Barbie in a Barbie car.
- Print off these Elf-sized coloring sheets!
- So many fun ways to use marshmallows with your elf!
- Pour out some sprinkles and make a “snow angel” in sprinkles.
Elf on the shelf rules
There are two main rules when it comes to the official Elf on the Shelf.
- The elf is to be secretly moved to a different location in your house every night. This makes the children believe the elf is traveling back to the North Pole to report back to Santa on their behavior.
- Second, you need to make sure children never touch the elf, or else he’ll lose his “magic.” If the elf is accidentally touched, they can write an apology letter to Santa. They can leave the letter, along with a sprinkle of cinnamon, next to the elf before they go to bed, so the elf can take Santa the apology note.