Make friends feel special with simple gifts for Valentines Day! I have everything you need with my Valentine Gift Tag Bundle. It is now 75% OFF. Learn More
Scratch Art is easy and fun to make and do. If you’re not familiar with scratch art paper, it is paper with a layer of crayon covered with paint. When you scratch through the black paint bright colors of crayon are revealed. Making your own homemade version is very simple. Let me show you how.
We had friends over today and we made our own homemade black scratch art paper. I am sure you have seen this cool black paper in the stores. No need to buy it when you can make it!
Scratch Art Paper Supplies
Make your own scratch paper with these easy to find ingredients.
- white heavyweight paper (cardstock or construction paper works well) I think the thicker the paper the better.
- crayons (you can also use oil pastels)
- liquid dish soap
- black tempera paint (acrylic paint works too)
- foam brush
- toothpicks (your scratch tool)
How to Make DIY Scratch Art Paper
First, color really hard all over your paper. It should be waxy looking with NO white showing.
If your friends are young you might want to draw a square on the center of the paper, not too big, and then cut it out when they are finished. This allows the edges to be colored and not destroyed.
Scratch Art Paper
After your paper is colored take black tempera paint (I used washable kids paint by Plaid that I found at Wal-Mart) and mix in a drop of liquid dish detergent. I would say maybe two tablespoons of paint with a good sized drop (like 1/4 to a scant 1/2 tsp) of regular dish detergent.
Paint your entire page with the paint. The wet paint can cause the paper to warp that is why thicker paper works well for this.
Allow the paint to dry.
Make sure all of the crayon is covered. It doesn’t need to be too thick, however, you don’t want any of the crayon peeking through the black paint.
When the paper is completely dry (takes about an hour), you are ready to let the magic happen. Start scratching away. We used toothpicks. An unfolded paper clip would also work.
You don’t need to scratch too hard, just enough to remove the black paint. Be careful at first and you will easily get the hang of it!
Scratch Art Ideas
What will you make? Really the ideas are endless and this is always a fun project! You might try one of these things to draw. Wouldn’t this special paper make a beautiful flower or rose! My son, of course, thought it made the perfect basketball. I love this activity because it is great for kids of all ages. Even younger kids will love to see colorful scribbles!
Does Scratch Art help you relax?
Scratch Art is a very relaxing activity. Scratching away the black paint to reveal all the different colors is so satisfying and magical.
Where can I buy Scratch Art paper?
No time to make your own? I found this scratch art paper on Amazon (affiliate link). You will have hours of fun! You can also make extra paper when you have time and save it for the future.
What are some unique craft ideas?
Kids will also love making these fun crafts.
- homemade playdough is always a hit! What a great way to make 3-dimensional objects!
- make his gak this is the one concoction that keeps my kids busy for hours!
- DIY shrinky dinks this little recycling activity will mesmerize!
- homemade stickers did you know you can make your own from wrapping paper and magazines?
- squirt gun tie dye talk about a blast! kids love this!
- Marbleized Paper for lovely notecards, covered pencils….anything you would use paper for.
- Homemade Puffy Paint will grow before their eyes for loads of giggles.
- Homemade Chalk Paint will entertain kids outside for hours! Bonus, your patio will be totally decorated.
- Beautiful Paper Bead Necklace will create a piece of wearable art.
- For more paper projects try this DIY puppy card template.