Salt Painting is a creative way to have kids make a two-dimensional work of art. Create these vibrant painting with simple items you probably already have at home. Kids will love the glittery texture salt paint creates.
Easy & Fun Salt Paint Art Activity
Can you believe this fun kids art project is made with glue, salt, and watercolors? Allowing kids to choose their own designs and encouraging them to make choices and enjoy the experience makes this a great process art activity.
MY LATEST VIDEOS
Salt Painting Supplies
This raised salt painting is pretty simple to make and the supplies are basic. You’ll need:
- black paper (Heavier paper like card stock works great. It can be any color but black gives a great contrast.)
- white glue
- water-colors (you could even use diluted food coloring)
How to Make a Salt Painting
The first step is to draw your design with your glue. Designs can be outlined first in pencil or just freehanded. Pictures can provide inspiration if needed to get the artistic juices flowing. We had a picture of a pineapple to look at and refer to and that really helped!
After the gluing is done, sprinkle salt all over the wet glue.
Dump off the excess salt and let the salt and glue dry.
Now for the really fun part! Take a paintbrush, get it wet with liquid watercolor paint and begin painting over the salt covered glue! It’s almost like magic how as soon as that paintbrush touches the salt, the color just transfers from the brush to the salt.
It’s really fun to create salt art and the end result is super adorable, don’t you think?
If you like this fun art project you might also like another kitchen concoction to paint with. Homemade puffy paint is a mixture of salt and flour.
Visit HowDoesShe fun crafts and ways to build strong families.
Fun Crafty Projects and Activities to Make
- Paper Plate Magnet Maze is a unique game you can make at home.
- Toilet a paper tube puppets are a great way to encourage imaginative play.
- Scratch Art is magical for kids.
- Paper Towel Butterflies use more kitchen items to create a beautiful display to hang around the house. Kids will be so proud!
- Make your own watercolor paints
- Mesmerize kids with homemade disappearing ink!