Make Somebodys Day! Send Good Vibes. Everything you need over 50% OFF. Learn More
Here is a Father’s Day gift that dad is sure to flip over! (pun intended) This personalized spatula makes a perfect gift Dads will love! It is a unique gift that will make him feel special every time he uses it.
Personalized gifts are the best, especially when they are made by a loved one, such as a child. When the opportunity arises, I like to combine sentimental and useful together. You can do just that with wooden handled kitchen utensils.
If the father figures in your life are grill masters like my husband, they will flip over this custom grill spatula. They can never have too many spatulas in their grilling arsenal! But this one will be uber special to them!
Need supplies for Personalized Spatulas
Here’s a list of supplies you need to make a personalized grill spatula. You may even have some of these on hand if you are a crafty person. (Affiliate links included in this section.)
- Spatula with wooden handle – I found the handy BBQ spatula with an integrated bottle opener I used at the dollar store. Any spatula with a wooden handle will work. Actually, any tool would work. How about making a personalized hammer!
- Fine to medium sandpaper
- Mod Podge
- Foam brush
- Paint Pens – I used Elmer’s Paint Pens, however from the reviews on Amazon these paint pens look like they would be great too, especially if you are going to make a personalized coffee mug.
DIY Personalized Spatula
This spatula is useful and better yet, it is a personalized gift just for him!
So let’s get started on preparing the spatula to be personalized. To begin, you want a clean wooden surface to work on. If the spatula has any type of rubber grip on the handle, carefully cut it off.
Then lightly sand the entire wooden handle with medium to fine sandpaper. This will help the paint adhere securely to the handle.
Now you are ready to personalize! I am a huge fan of paint pens. They are a no-mess way to paint. The medium and fine tips allow a child (or adult) to write with paint with great success! They are also versatile! These are great because they can paint on wood, metal, ceramic, plastic, and fabric!
With the paint-pens, personalize the wooden handle of the spatula. You can let your Dad know he is number one and how much you love him. Or you can also choose to decorate it and write a special message from your heart just for him.
Allow the paint to completely dry (about 15 mins). Once dry add a coat of Mod Podge to protect the paint.
Tip: I used Mod Podge for this project, however, it is only somewhat water-resistant. If you prefer you can use a water-based clear coat (affiliate link), which is more water-resistant and durable.
Now, dad has a useful and heartfelt gift! Wow, just look how sweet this personalized spatula looks!
Great Gift Ideas for Dad
These Father’s Day presents are sure to be a hit!
- Need a card? Print these fun cards for free! – Printable FUNNY Father’s Day Cards
- Say thanks by helping a dad out! – Father’s Day Coupon Book
- Attach these to dad’s fave beverage! – Father’s Day Bottle Tags
- The perfect way to let kids share how they feel! – Father’s Day Coloring Page
- For all GOOD DADS! – Father’s Day Candy Bar Wrappers
- How about a Dad Portrait – complete with a money bow tie.
I hope you have an incredible Father’s Day!