Make Somebodys Day! Send Good Vibes. Everything you need over 50% OFF. Learn More
Ring in the New Year with some New Year’s Eve trivia! Print these questions and answers, round up some players, and get ready to put your general knowledge of NYE and January 1st to our test!
What is your favorite New Year’s Eve tradition? Here at Skip to My Lou, one of our traditions is playing games like these fun getting to know you questions or charades. Games bring people together and help create memories to last a lifetime!
We’ve compiled a list of fun trivia questions for your family and friends. This quiz will test your knowledge of all things related to New Years Eve – from classic songs to New Year’s Eve traditions. so gather your friends and family, put on your thinking caps, and get ready for some holiday fun!
New Year’s Eve Trivia Questions
- Who wrote the famous song Auld Lang Syne?
- Where is it considered to be good luck to wear red underwear on New Year’s?
- In the Southern United States eating this on New Year’s will bring good luck. Which food is it?
- Who was the first person to host the broadcast of the Times Square New Year’s Eve party?
- When did the ball first drop in Time’s Square?
- What do the words “Auld Lang Syne” mean?
- In 1582 which calendar marked 1 January as the New Year?
- Which Australian city has one of the largest New Year’s celebrations?
- What was the name of the movie which generated the highest box office sales for one shown on New Year’s Day?
- What is the 2018 design of the Time Square ball called?
- Who was the first to declare January 1 a national holiday?
- How many Times Square New Year’s balls have there been?
- When did the first Tournament of Roses parade take place?
- What newspaper was the sponsor of the first-ever Times Square New Year’s party?
- Which parade is the country’s oldest continuous folk parade on New Year’s Day featuring the Comics and Wench Brigades, Fancies, String Bands and Fancy Brigades?
- What calendar determines the date of the Chinese New Year?
- Which celebration was observed in ancient Greece featuring an infant being paraded around in a basket?
- Why were the Time Balls invented originally?
- What tradition is followed on New Year’s Eve in the city of Hershey, PA?
- Where in the world is the last to ring in the New Year?
- What event prompted the first New Year’s Eve ball drop in Times Square?
- Cultures in Eastern Europe and Austria consider eating lobster before the stroke of midnight as bad luck. Why?
- Name two reasons it is considered back luck to eat chicken on New Year’s?
- January derives from which language and what does it mean?
- Smashing a peppermint version of what animal is considered good luck in New York?
New Year’s Eve Trivia Answers
- Robert Burns
- Black-eyed peas
- Guy Lombardo
- “Auld Lang Syne” means for old times’ sake.
- Gregorian calendar
- Sydney, Australia
- ‘The Gift of Serenity’
- Julius Caesar
- The New York Times
- The Mummers Parade in Philidelphia.
- Baby New Year
- To help sailors coordinate their navigation equipment.
- They drop a giant kiss.
- American Samoa
- A fireworks ban
- Since lobsters move backward the superstition is that eating them will cause setbacks instead of good fortune.
- They move backwards while scratching, so same as with lobsters it will cause setbacks instead of good fortune. Another superstition is it will cause your good luck to fly away!
- Latin, for the word ‘ianua’, meaning door.
A little friendly competition will keep your New Year’s Eve exciting. Download the printable trivia questions and answers.
How to Play new years trivia game
Play individually or split into teams and see who can answer the most questions correctly. Decide in advance whether or not to allow players or teams to use electronics to search for the correct answers. No matter how you choose to play, this is sure to be a trivia night full of laughs and memories. Good luck!