Homemade Irish Cream Liqueur is a really yummy treat, I love it added to a cup of coffee or hot chocolate. It is easy to make and makes a great gift.
What is the flavor of Irish Cream?
This classic whiskey liqueur has a vanilla chocolate flavor that is sweet and creamy. You can buy the original Irish cream under the label Bailey’s.
Irish Cream INGREDIENTS
- Sweetened condensed milk
- Irish whiskey
- Chocolate syrup
- Vanilla extract
- Instant coffee crystals
- Whipping cream (heavy cream)
- Sweetened cream of coconut (such as Coco Lopez Cream of Coconut) This ingredient is optional. It gives a bit of depth of flavor but doesn’t make it taste like coconut. It is okay if you want to leave it out. My can was solid at the top, so I placed the can about 2 inches of water in a skillet and heated until the cream of coconut was liquid).
How long does homemade Irish Cream liqueur last?
As a rule of thumb to be safe, I look at the expiration date on the whipping cream I use. Write the expiration date on the back of the gift tag so the recipients will know how long to keep. Also, be sure to keep it refrigerated.
Homemade Baileys Irish Cream Recipe
IRISH CREAM LIQUOR
Just like Bailey's! Perfect in coffee, chocolate martinis, and other desserts and drinks!
- 1 - 14 ounce can sweetened condensed milk
- 1 cup Irish whiskey
- 2 tablespoon chocolate syrup
- 1 tablespoon vanilla extract
- 1 teaspoon instant coffee crystals
- 1 cup whipping cream
- 1 tablespoon canned sweetened cream of coconut (optional) such as Coco Lopez Cream of Coconut
- Combine the first 5 ingredients in a blender; blend until coffee crystals dissolve, about 1 minute. Add whipping cream and cream of coconut to the mixture and blend 10 seconds. Pour into glass bottles, add a tag and you have a perfect gift. On the back on the tag include instructions to keep refrigerated and that it should last two weeks.
You can pour chilled mixture over ice cubes, pour over chocolate or coffee ice cream too. This recipe makes about three cups with just enough to leftover to have a nice cup of coffee (or two)!
I used 8oz tall skinny bottles from Germany (sorry). I have tried to find them online with no luck, they were not expensive about $1.00 or so each. I did think these swing top glass bottles would also make a beautiful presentation. They are 8.5 ounces, so if you forgo your cup of coffee it might work — or you could add an extra 1/4 cup of cream and I don’t think it would alter the recipe too much.
There are many bottle supply companies online where you can find 8 oz bottles. You might also try World Market or the Dollar Store.
How to Wrap Homemade Irish Cream
If you are giving homemade Baileys as a gift these gift tags will make it easy! Just print and attach to your bottles. Download the tags below in black and red for $2.99.
If you love giving edible gifts get the Irish Cream labels (in red and black) along with five more delicious recipes with matching gift tags for $6.95. Buy Gifts From the Kitchen.
Irish Cream Drinks
Here are a few cocktail recipes perfect for using your Irish Cream.
- Buttery Nipple – Yeah, the name isn’t the best but this is delish! Fill a shot glass with 1 ounce of Butterscotch Schnapps and then carefully pour 1/2 ounce Irish Cream over the back of a spoon. This will help the Irish Cream float on top of the schnapps.
- Irish Car Bomb – this one tastes great like a milkshake
- Chocolate Martini
More GIFT Ideas
You could dress the bottles up even more with a hand-painted bottle stopper! Another festive and delicious drink you can make for gift-giving is a bucket of Frozen Tumbleweeds. This alcoholic ice cream is AMAZING! Who wouldn’t want to receive a bucket!