Turn glass ornaments into beautiful keepsakes and show off your child’s artwork. This is an easy Chritmas craft that any child old enough to color with Sharpie markers will enjoy!
Making Christmas Ornaments is always a fun holiday activity!
Glass Ornament Supplies
- Clear glass ball ornaments (2.63 inches) These can be found at a craft store like Michael’s.
- Colored Sharpie markers
- Clear transparency (This can be purchased at a copy shop like Office Max or Kinko’s, You can buy it by the sheet in their copy center)
- Christmas Ornament Template
How to Make Glass Ornaments with Children’s Art
The hardest part of this craft is getting the correct size of the circle that will fit into your glass ball. Download the template we provided for the circle if you are using a 2.6-inch glass ornament. If your ornament is different, measure around the ornament and then divide that number by 3.14. TIP: Test a paper circle in the ornament before beginning this project!
First, have the child make an outline of their design inside one of the circles on the template. Having the child sketch it out first in the circle on the copy paper saves making mistakes and wasting the transparency sheet.
Next, cover the paper drawing with the transparency sheet. Tape corners down to prevent slipping. Trace the circle and then color in the design with the Sharpie markers.
Carefully cut out the circle, just slightly inside the line.
Roll up the circle and send it into the glass ornament. It should fit snugly inside the ornament without bending too much.
The plastic circle will flatten out. Adjust the placement of the transparency with a pencil and tweezers. If you need to remove the plastic you can pull it out with tweezers.
A beautiful keepsake of your child’s artwork! If you sew check out these fabulous child’s artwork keepsake ornaments. Too cute! We have also made these cool candles with kid’s drawings.
Try making an embellished clipboard from your child’s artwork.
More Christmas Crafts and Gifts
- These easy Christmas art projects will make holiday decor fun, with everything from Christmas ornaments to Christmas gifts. FUN & Festive Christmas Crafts That Are EASY!
- If you looking for some fun ways to entertain the kids and decorate your house give these simple Christmas Crafts a try.
- 25 Easy Christmas Gift Ideas that are super cute! No need to break the budget. These easy Christmas gift ideas will let you share the Holiday spirit and let everyone on your list know how special they are.
- Homemade Christmas Gifts Wrap up some amazing homemade Christmas gifts for friends and family with these recipes and matching gift tags.
- Spend an afternoon with your kids making Christmas gifts 5 Christmas Gifts You Can Make
- Here are a few easy projects you can get started on for the best handmade holiday ever DIY Gifts To Sew For Christmas
I would love to keep you fully stocked with creative ideas, yummy recipes, fun crafts, and loads of free printables. Subscribe to Skip to my Lou to get new ideas delivered to your inbox. Follow me on Facebook, Pinterest, Twitter, and Instagram for all my latest updates.
Yes, it is, and using such simple instructions is helpful for me to make some of my own glass ball ornaments.
Very clever idea.
Thanks for the link! My daughter will enjoy makeing these!
I have a tree in my son’s room that those would be perfect for! Thanks for sharing! I’m posting a family recipe for hot chocolate today that is great to give as a gift. Come check it out!
My daughter’s brownie troop just did this last week – they are so cute. Her troop leader took a picture of each girl and put it in the ornament instead of artwork – both great ideas!!