Amish Friendship Bread Starter Recipe is the perfect way to begin a friendship tradition. Ten Days ago my friend gave me a Ziploc bag filled with some batter along with an instruction sheet. She told me that I was to keep mashing the bag, add some ingredients and then make bread. I told her if she was my true friend she would just make me the bread (just kidding)!
My sweet friend told me it would be a great thing to blog about——–now I was on board. My husband and I cared for our batter every day and yesterday was the BIG day, I made the bread. It was really delicious and now I have my bags of batter ready to go to three very special friends!
Related: If you are a bread lover try my Pumpkin Bread Recipe.
So I began writing out the recipe and instructions and then realized this does all of you absolutely no good—-you don’t have a starter. But lucky all of you adventurous bakers a quick google search led me to many recipes for the starter.
Beginning the Amish Friendship Bread Starter
It is very important to use plastic or wooden utensils and plastic or glass containers when making this—no metal.
Gather Your Ingredients
1 pkg. active dry yeast
1/4 cup warm water (110°F)
1 cup all-purpose flour
1 cup white sugar
1 cup warm milk (110°F)
Directions For Making Your Friendship Bread starter
1. In a small bowl dissolve the yeast in warm water for about 10 minutes. Stir well.
2. In a glass or plastic container, combine 1 cup sifted flour and 1 cup sugar. Mix thoroughly or the flour will get lumpy when you add the milk.
3. Slowly stir in warm milk and the dissolved yeast mixture. Cover the mixture loosely with a lid or plastic wrap. The mixture will get bubbly. Consider this Day 1 of the cycle or the day you receive the starter. I would put this mixture in a ziplock bag so I could continue with the recipe.
For the next 10 days use the starter according to the instructions.
Amish Friendship Bread Starter from momswhothink.
Storage and Additions
Allrecipes has another Amish Friendship Bread Starter recipe with tips about freezing the starter. There are many variations to make Pumpkin Bread, Strawberry Bread, Carrot……….. all shared by momswhothink.
Amish Friendship Bread Starter Recipe
- 1 pkg. active dry yeast
- 1/4 cup warm water 110°F
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 cup white sugar
- 1 cup warm milk 110°F
- In a small bowl dissolve the yeast in warm water for about 10 minutes. Stir well.
- In a glass or plastic container, combine 1 cup sifted flour and 1 cup sugar. Mix thoroughly or the flour will get lumpy when you add the milk.
- Slowly stir in warm milk and the dissolved yeast mixture. Cover the mixture loosely with a lid or plastic wrap. The mixture will get bubbly. Consider this Day 1 of the cycle, or the day you receive the starter. I would put this mixture in a ziplock bag so I could continue with the recipe.
- For the next 10 days use the starter according to the instructions.
I have created an easy to use free printable on how to use the starter and the recipe for baking the bread. Enjoy! Amish Friendship Bread Recipe and Instructions
More Bread Recipes
- Beer Bread Recipe with only four ingredients and less than an hour, you have delicious homemade bread!
- The BEST Chocolate Chip Banana Bread! it is the perfect solution to overripe bananas.
- Easy Banana Bread Made with Cake Mix Recipe is oh-so moist and delicious and loaded with banana flavor.
- Bread Recipes are for all levels some you make in your bread machine, some are even quick rise recipes.
- Peach Bread Recipe makes a sweet moist delicious treat.
- Sweet Bread Recipes sweet and even sometimes unexpected flavors come together to make your new favorite treat.
- Make Monkey Bread in your Instant Pot cooking it in the pressure cooker makes it so tender and moist.
- Easy Fall Bread Recipes there are so many variations here worth baking.
- Easy Homemade Wheat Bread the hardest part of this recipe is the waiting for it to raise and bake.
If you have a favorite or tips about making this bread please leave a comment!