My one skillet baked Ziti is a meatless dish featuring a creamy tomato and parmesan sauce with a hint of spice. It is sure to leave your family asking for it again and again.
What you will need to make This Ziti Recipe
To make this delicious tomato, cream, and parmesan based ziti recipe you will need:
- Olive oil
- Garlic cloves, minced
- Red pepper flakes
- 2 – 14.5-ounce cans diced tomatoes with basil and oregano
- Uncooked ziti pasta
- Heavy cream, 1/2 cup
- Grated Parmesan cheese, 1/2 cup
- Grated mozzarella cheese
How to Make Quick and Easy Skillet Ziti
- To begin making this recipe you will sauté the garlic and red pepper flakes with the olive oil in an oven-safe skillet over medium-high heat for about 2 minutes to sweat out the flavors. Don’t let the garlic turn brown, doing so could make it taste bitter.
- The next step in the cooking process is to add the canned tomatoes, water, ziti, and salt and cook covered on medium-high heat for about 15-18 minutes or until the ziti is almost tender (aldonate). Cooking the ziti directly in the tomato mixture will allow the pasta to absorb all the delicious flavors from the garlic, red pepper flakes, and tomatoes.
- Then stir in the cream and parmesan cheese creating a creamy tomato-based sauce. Once you have the sauce mixed together add salt and pepper to taste.
- You can serve the pasta right out of the skillet sprinkling it with mozzarella cheese, but what makes this recipe even better is to bake it in the oven melting the mozzarella cheese on top of the ziti.
There’s nothing better than melted and slightly browned cheese on an oven-baked Italian dish. You are going to love this easy weeknight meal.
TIP: Want to add meat? Just brown one pound of ground beef or sausage, drain and continue on with the recipe.
- Oven Proof Skillet
- 2 teaspoons olive oil
- 6 garlic cloves minced
- 1 teaspoon salt
- pinch of red pepper flakes
- 2 – 14.5- ounce cans diced tomatoes with basil and oregano
- 3 cups water
- 16 ounces uncooked ziti pasta
- ½ cup heavy cream
- ½ cup grated Parmesan cheese
- 1 cup grated mozzarella cheese
- Saute oil, garlic, and red pepper flakes in a large oven-safe skillet over medium-high heat for about 2 minutes (do not brown garlic). Add canned tomatoes, water, ziti, and salt. Cover and cook over medium heat, stirring often (about every two minutes to keep the pasta from sticking to the bottom of the pan). Cook until ziti is almost tender about 15-18 minutes. Stir in cream, Parmesan. Season with salt and pepper to taste.
- Add canned tomatoes, water, ziti, and salt.
- Cover and cook over medium heat, stirring often (about every two minutes to keep the pasta from sticking to the bottom of the pan).
- Cook until ziti is almost tender about 15-18 minutes. Stir in cream and Parmesan cheese.
- Season with salt and pepper to taste.
- Sprinkle mozzarella evenly over the pasta.
- Place skillet to oven and bake until cheese has melted and browned, about 10 minutes.