Make Somebodys Day! Send Good Vibes. Everything you need over 50% OFF. Learn More
Never be at a loss with things to talk about with kids after school! Printable after school questions for kids find out a little bit more about how your child’s day went and help you hear something other than usual “good,” “fine” or “ok” answers. If you ever need to lighten the mood after school try out these kids jokes. They are sure to bring a smile! Would you rather questions are another good conversation starter.
After School Conversation Starters
Have you ever tried to talk to your kids about how their day was at school and all you get is one word or one sentence answer? I often feel shut down (especially with my teen) but these after school questions for kids are a fun way to get a little bit more out of them and give you things to talk about. These topics while simple require them to think a little bit harder. Questions like “How did somebody help you today?” or “What do you think you should do more of at school? What do you think you should do less of?” helps them reflect on their day and gives you a little window into their world.
You can make up the rules and determine how many questions your child gets to pick each day.
Printable Questions for Kids
To keep track of your questions for kids, download, and print in color. Cut apart the questions and place them in a 12oz mason jar and glue the labels on top of the lid, and on the front of the jar. The labels can also be printed on sticker paper and attached to the jar or container.
Keep a jar of questions in your car or somewhere in your home where you’ll both remember to play. I like to keep mine in the kitchen because most of the time that’s where my kids hang out after school while they look for an afternoon snack. These After School Questions for kids are a great way for both you and your child to connect and help you learn a little bit more about their thoughts and feelings.
Taking a moment to ask and then really listen to their answers makes kids feel important and that what they think and feel matters. We all need to feel valued and loved. The simple act of acknowledging and caring about your child’s day helps to make them feel special and that their education is important.
Things to talk about after school
- Was there anything you wish you had at school that you didn’t have today?
- Did you raise your hand in class today?
- Who did you enjoy talking with the most today?
- Did you see the principal today? What was he/she doing?
- Did anyone have anything fun or interesting to talk about?
- What do you think the most important part of school is?
- Tell me one question that you had today. Was it answered?
- What was the best thing that happened at school today? (What was the worst thing that happened at school today?)
- What were the other kids eating for lunch?
- What was the funniest thing someone said today?
- If you could choose who would you like to sit by in class? Who would you not want to sit by in class? Why?
- Where is the coolest place at the school?
- If I called your teacher tonight what would she tell me about you?
- How did you help somebody today?
- How did somebody help you today?
- Tell me one thing that you learned today.
- When were you the happiest today?
- When were you bored today?
- When were you frustrated today?
- Who would you like to play with at recess that you’ve never played with before?
- Tell me something good that happened today.
- What word did your teacher say most today?
- What do you think you should do/learn more of at school?
- Who in your class do you think you could be nicer to?
- Where do you play the most at recess?
- Who is the funniest person in your class? Why is he/she so funny?
- What was your favorite part of lunch?
- Is there anyone in your class that needs a timeout?
- If you could switch seats with anyone in the class who would you trade with? Why?
- Tell me one thing that you learned today.
- What do you think you should do more of at school? What do you think you should do less of?
- What are 2 things that you hear other kids at school say?
- If your day at school was an emoji which one would it be?
- What were most kids doing at recess?
- What was the best game at recess?
- What did you talk about at recess?
- Who is someone at school who needs a friend?
- Who did you eat lunch with today?
- Tell me something that made you laugh today.
- When were you happiest today?
- Is there a question you want to ask me about my day?
- What is your most favorite school lunch?
- What event at school are you looking forward to?
- When are you the happiest at school?
- What is something you are really good at when you are at school?
- What is something about your day that you think might surprise me?
- What do you wish your teacher knew about you?
I hope this helps you to know how to start a conversation and gives you some great topics to talk about.
Download questions here: After School Questions Printable
Behind the Design:Megan is the owner and creator behind Short Stop Designs. Graphic design is her creative outlet and she loves sharing her designs with others who need something new to spice up their home or are in search of a cute printable to go along with a gift. Aside from keeping up with her blog, her 3 active children keep her busy all while trying to survive the life of an Army wife.