It is peach season! That means it is time to make Peach Pie! This is the best peach pie recipe EVER!
If you need some peachy goodness and don’t have fresh peaches try this peach bread recipe. It has a surprise ingredient you can find all year long at the grocery store.
My sister-in-law, Jenny, makes a fabulous peach pie. Her recipe is the best of both grandmothers. My grandmother’s secret was to sprinkle the top of the pie with cinnamon and sugar. Jenny’s grandmother had the perfect filling.
You will want to take the time to make the crust yourself. Really it doesn’t take that much extra time and you get a wonderfully flaky crust!
Grandmother’s Pie Crust Recipe
For 2 crust pie:
- 2 C. all-purpose flour
- ½ tsp. salt
- ¾ C. shortening
- 1/3 C. ice cold water
Sift flour and salt together.
Cut in shortening with a fork until crumbly. Sprinkle water slowly into mixture. I often use a food processor on pulse to do this.
Combine ingredients with hands; working quickly to form a ball. Divide pie dough into 2 parts, trying not to handle it too much. If dough seems hard to work with you can wrap in plastic wrap and place in the refrigerator for an hour.
With floured hands, turn onto floured surface and roll into a circle, approximately 14-inch diameter.
Fold crust into ¼’s to easily transfer to pie pan. This makes the bottom crust.
Peach Pie INGREDIENTs
- pie crust (see recipe above)
How to Make Peach Pie
This recipe won’t disappoint! It is a great recipe!
Gather delicious juicy peaches.
Peel and thinly slice peaches.
In a large bowl toss peaches with vanilla, sugar, cinnamon, nutmeg, salt, and flour.
Pour into 9” pie shell. Divide 2 Tbsp. butter into small pieces and place on top of filling.
Place top crust and place over the filling with a sharp knife cut decorative slits in the top of crust to release steam while baking. Crimp edges. Divide 2 Tbsp. butter into tiny bits (again) and place on the outside of the top crust, then sprinkle with sugar and cinnamon.
You could make a lattice crust top if you prefer.
Bake at 400 degrees for 15 minutes; then turn the oven down to 350 and bake for another 30 – 45 minutes until crust is golden brown. If you feel it is getting too brown before peaches are tender tent the pie with aluminum foil. Serve with vanilla ice cream. YUM!
Peach Pie Recipe
Grandmother’s Peach Pie
- 9 peaches peeled and thinly sliced
- 1 ½ Cups sugar
- 8 dashes cinnamon
- 5 dashes nutmeg
- 1 dash salt
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 3 Tbsp flour
- 2 Cups all purpose flour
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ¾ Cups shortening
- 1/3 Cups ice cold water
- Fold above ingredients together and pour into 9” pie shell. Divide 2 Tbsp. butter into small pieces and place on top of filling. Cut steam slits in top crust and place over filling. Crimp edges. Divide 2 Tbsp. butter into tiny bits (again) and place on outside of top crust, then sprinkle with sugar and cinnamon.
- Bake at 400 degrees for 15 minutes; then turn oven down to 350 and bake for another 30 – 40 minutes until golden.
- Sift flour and salt together.
- Cut in shortening with a fork until crumbly.
- Sprinkle water slowly into mixture. Combine ingredients with hands; working quickly to form a ball. Divide into 2 parts, trying not to handle it too much.
- With floured hands, turn onto floured surface and roll into a circle, approximately 14 inch diameter. With a knife, cut decorative slits in the top crust. Fold crusts into ¼’s to easily transfer to pie pans.
Whenever I get a bunch of peaches I am going to try canning this peach filling like my homemade apple pie filling.
If you love peaches you might like this Peach Salsa recipe.
How many cups of peaches approximately?
I love to bake but I am still learning the skill of making good pies. This one looks and sounds delicious. Can I use my frozen peaches for this? If so, should they stay frozen or should I thaw them?
I made it and it had so much liquid! I’m not sure why the flour and sugar didn’t thicken the ingredients enough. Any suggestions?
Thank you so much for all your ideas and recipes. They are wonderful. I enjoy them so much and look forward to the next one.
YUM!! I would LOVE a big slice of this peach pie right now!! It looks incredibly delicious!!
I am obsessed with this pie! It’s absolutely delicious!
This is the perfect way to use up those last summer fresh peaches! Delicious!
I love peach pie! This recipe is great!
This is such a delicious recipe! My husband loves this pie!
Love this peach pie recipe