My Favorite Homemade Brownies
My grandmother always made the best homemade brownies. As I would watch her whip up the sugar, butter, and eggs, I would grow inpatient with anticipation. The smell of brownies baking would keep me close to the kitchen as I waited for the hot pan to come out of the oven. Waiting for the chocolatey brownies to cool was optional, but if she was making them for a church potluck, not even I could steal a brownie out of the pan! These Homemade Brownies are extra chocolatey and made completely from scratch. With this homemade brownie recipe, you’ll never need a box mix again! We love these rich brownies with dense, fudgy middles and crinkly tops. They are so simple to make and they taste amazing. You certainly will be able to taste the homemade difference.
If you are looking for a go-to brownie recipe to add to your baking repertoire, we think this is the BEST brownie recipe out there. It is sure to cure all those cocoa cravings and can be mixed up in minutes. I know what you may be thinking–you are too busy for homemade brownies AND the box is just so convenient. Take the homemade challenge and once you taste the difference, you won’t be going back to the box.
The best part is the recipe goes together quickly and fills a 12 X 18 pan so it feeds a crowd. The ingredients are simple and should become a staple in your pantry. You never know when you might need a quick dessert for unexpected company, and these brownies will certainly make them feel like special guests! It is the perfect dessert to take to a potluck or a picnic. Children AND adults will be coming back for a second brownie as this recipe stands above the rest.
My most favorite brownies and they feed a crowd!
- 2 cups all purpose flour
- 1 1/3 cups unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 8 large eggs
- 4 cups sugar
- 1 pound 4 sticks unsalted butter, melted
- 1 tablespoon plus 2 teaspoons pure vanilla extract
- 2 cups coarsely chopped walnuts I omit
- 2 cups 12 ounces semisweet chocolate chips
- Preheat the oven to 325 degrees.
- Lightly grease and flour a 17 by 12 by 1-inch baking pan (I use a 12" X 18 "X 1" pan) and set aside. (I line pan with parchment paper then spray with cooking spray)
- Sift together the flour, cocoa powder, and salt in a bowl and stir to mix.
- Cream together the eggs, sugar, butter and vanilla in a separate bowl until well blended.
- Add the flour mixture to the butter mixture and mix just until all the dry ingredients are moistened. Do not over mix.
- Fold in the walnuts and chocolate chips and stir to blend. Spread the batter evenly into the prepared pan.
- Bake 35 to 40 minutes, until the brownies are firm to touch. They will be slightly soft in the center when tested with a toothpick. Remove from the oven and cool about 40 minutes before cutting.
- Trim the edges and cut into 2 1/2 by 3-inch bars.
To make cutting the brownies easier, refrigerate brownies a couple of hours or overnight. Lift parchment to remove brownies from pan before cutting.
From Foster's Market Cookbook
More Brownie Recipes
We would like to believe we are brownie connoisseurs! We love baking brownies (and eating them)! Hopefully these recipes will inspire you to teach the next generation about homemade recipes and cooking from scratch. The times spent in the kitchen together baking brownies, will certainly be part of making some wonderful memories.
Looking for some unusual but delicious brownie recipes? Try these brownies with a crunchy topping. They are super moist and topped with creamy marshmallow and chocolatey rice layers. If you like the combination of chocolate and peanut butter, these brownies are three layers of perfection and the chocolatey rice layer gives them a unique texture. I guarantee they won’t last long once they are sliced into squares! YUM!
Peppermint Brownies in a jar make a delicious and thoughtful homemade gift! They would make a great Christmas gift for a teacher, or just about anyone on your list. They are easy to whip up a bunch at a time. The layered ingredients look very festive, and the jar makes them simple to give (and keep on hand for extra gifts!)
If you love the combination of chocolate and mint, these Junior Mint brownies are gooey and minty! Candy added to a brownie…What’s not to love? They are the perfect treat for a movie night.