I love the smell of homemade brownies. Waiting for these fudgy brownies to cool is optional! These easy homemade brownies are packed with chocolate flavor, and made completely from scratch. Once you try this homemade brownie recipe, you’ll never need a box mix again!
We love rich brownies with dense, fudgy middles and crinkly, crackly tops. This recipe is so simple to make and the results taste amazing – you certainly will be able to taste the homemade difference.
WATCH VIDEO: LEARN HOW TO MAKE THIS RECIPE
If you are looking for a go-to brownie recipe to add to your baking repertoire, we think this is the BEST homemade brownies recipe out there. It is sure to cure all those cocoa cravings and can be mixed up in minutes.
I know what you may be thinking — you are too busy for DIY brownies AND the box is just so convenient. Take the homemade challenge and once you taste the difference, you won’t be going back to the box.
The best part is the recipe goes together quickly, and fills a 12 x 18 pan (affiliate link), so it feeds a crowd. The ingredients are simple and should become staples in your pantry.
Here is What You Need To Make The Best Brownie Recipe
This delicious recipe is made with simple ingredients. I love that it serves a crowd! It really is the perfect brownie recipe!
- unsweetened cocoa powder
- pure vanilla extract
- chopped walnuts (optional)
- semisweet chocolate chips
Perfect Brownies from Scratch Tips
- Refrigerate or even slightly freeze the brownies to make cutting easier.
- Don’t overmix the batter and you will get moist fudgy homemade brownies – one of the best things about making brownies is you don’t need a mixer, just a rubber spatula or large spoon will do.
- Melt butter as you preheat the oven, and mix your dry ingredients so you mix them in all at once.
- Spray the baking pan with cookie spray, then line with parchment paper and spray again. Once brownies are chilled, they can be removed from the pan and then cut into squares.
- The brownies can be made ahead and frozen. Wrap tightly with plastic wrap and foil to keep them fresh.
How to Make
So if you are asking, ” What’s the best chocolate brownie recipe?” Here it is! You might also ask what makes homemade brownies better than brownie mix? Well first off they were made by you! Secondly, you can use real wholesome ingredients and get rid of all the chemicals.
- 2 cups all purpose flour
- 1 1/3 cups unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 8 large eggs
- 4 cups sugar
- 1 pound 4 sticks unsalted butter, melted
- 1 tablespoon plus 2 teaspoons pure vanilla extract
- 2 cups coarsely chopped walnuts I omit
- 2 cups 12 ounces semisweet chocolate chips
- Preheat the oven to 325 degrees.
- Lightly grease and flour a 17 by 12 by 1-inch baking pan (I use a 12″ X 18 “X 1” pan) and set aside. (I line pan with parchment paper then spray with cooking spray)
- Sift together the flour, cocoa powder, and salt in a bowl and stir to mix.
- Cream together the eggs, sugar, butter and vanilla in a separate bowl until well blended.
- Add the flour mixture to the butter mixture and mix just until all the dry ingredients are moistened. Do not over mix.
- Fold in the walnuts and chocolate chips and stir to blend. Spread the batter evenly into the prepared pan.
- Bake 35 to 40 minutes, until the brownies are firm to touch. They will be slightly soft in the center when tested with a toothpick. Remove from the oven and cool about 40 minutes before cutting.
- Trim the edges and cut into 2 1/2 by 3-inch bars.
You never know when you might need a quick dessert for unexpected company, and these ultimate homemade brownies will certainly make them feel like special guests! It is the perfect dessert to take to a potluck or a picnic. Children AND adults will be coming back for a second brownie as this recipe stands above the rest.
More Homemade Brownie Recipes
We would like to believe we are brownie connoisseurs! Whether they’re old-fashioned, chocolate or cocoa powder-based, simple or decadent, we love baking brownies (and eating them)!
Hopefully, these recipes will inspire you to teach the next generation about homemade recipes and cooking from scratch. The times spent in the kitchen together baking brownies will certainly be part of making some wonderful memories.
We like homemade brownies better than boxed mixes because they have fewer ingredients and you know exactly what goes into them. With this recipe, there is no need even for baking powder or baking soda, let alone coloring or preservatives – just a few wholesome ingredients and love!
Chocolate and peanut butter brownies
Looking for some unusual but delicious brownie recipes? Peanut butter or Nutella make for mouth-watering twists on classic recipes. Try these brownies with a crunchy topping. They are super moist, chewy, and topped with creamy marshmallow and chocolatey rice layers.
If you like the combination of chocolate and peanut butter, these brownies are three layers of perfection and the chocolatey rice layer gives them a unique texture. I guarantee they won’t last long once they are sliced into squares! YUM!
Mint brownies recipes
Peppermint Brownies in a jar make a delicious and thoughtful homemade gift! They would make a great Christmas gift for a teacher, or just about anyone on your list. They are easy to whip up a bunch at a time. The layered ingredients look very festive, and the jar makes them simple to give (and keep on hand for extra gifts!)
If you love the combination of chocolate and mint, these Junior Mint brownies are gooey and minty! Candy added to a brownie…What’s not to love? They are the perfect treat for a movie night.
Don’t miss this!
No time to make up a pan of brownies but still need a chocolate fix? This chocolate mug cake is a family favorite for sweet cravings! It takes only a few minutes to have a dense fudgy treat! I like it baked just at 1 min 45 seconds. This leaves a bit of warm chocolate batter just like a lava cake. YUM!
We loved the combination of chocolate and peanut butter, so perfect! This is a great recipe for brownies and I’m glad I tried it!
We love gathering as a family. I think this recipe is perfect for our next gathering. Thanks for sharing! 🙂
The best homemade brownies! Full of chocolate flavor! LOVE!
Wow Jen, they make so many your kids must have really really loved them.
Thanks a lot for sharing your amazing brownies recipe! Very easy to make and turned out really flavorful! Loved it! Highly recommended!
My kids devoured these brownies so fast. I just wish I doubled he recipe!
I made these brownies for a big picnic and they were a hit! Thanks so much for the awesome recipe.
I made these brownies for the 4th of July party. Made recipe exactly as written, without any changes. Best brownies ever!!! Everyone commented how delicious they were. Thank you for this recipe.❤
Ahh thanks Tammie and that is a great substitution to cut some of the fat! I am going to give it a try.