How to Make Slime That Works! (Easy Recipe)
This safe DIY slime recipe is completely worry-free. Super easy and FUN! My daughter says it is so addictive!
I recently learned that liquid starch may contain borax. We found out that contact lens solution can act as the binder instead of the borax. This recipe produces a stretchy smooth extra fluffy slime and uses contact solution instead of Borax.
It doesn’t take many items. Just a few ingredients you probably have in your pantry and you can make this super stretchy fluffy concoction!
This recipe calls for:
- washable school glue
- food coloring
- Baking Soda & Contact Solution
Baking soda will combine with the boric acid in contact solution to make borate, the same crosslinking solution that Borax contains. This mixture becomes the activator. The saline solution needs to contain active ingredients like sodium borate and boric acid. So yes, even this recipe has a touch of borax. Borax powder and liquid starch can also be used as the slime activator
- shaving cream – this will make it super fluffy
How do you make slime fluffy?
Try our fluffy recipe (our exact recipe is below)! Make your homemade slime fluffy with shaving cream. Not the gel kind, go for the original shaving cream.
Now let’s learn how to make slime the safe way. This borax-free recipe that is perfectly slimy! Your kids will be playing with it for hours and making it over and over again. All you need are simple ingredients found in your pantry. There is no need to add water.
- 1/2 cup washable school glue (we use Elmer’s glue)
- food coloring (your choice for colored slime)
- 1 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/4 cup shaving cream
- 1 tablespoon contact lens solution
Measure glue into a bowl. Add a few drops of food coloring. Once it is the desired color add a few more drops. The shaving cream will make the color lighter. Mix in baking soda then shaving cream, Stir in contact lens solution and mix. The mixture will start to come together. Remove mixture from bowl and knead with hands. It will be sticky. The more it is played with the less sticky it becomes.
How do you make slime without borax?
This amazing homemade slime that is safe and borax powder free is made in only 6 steps. It is a fluffy slime recipe because we added shaving cream.
1. Measure 1/2 cup glue into a mixing bowl.
2. Add food coloring. Add more food coloring than you think you need. The shaving cream will make it lighter.
3. Add in 1 1/2 teaspoons baking soda and mix.
4. Next, add 1/4 cup shaving cream. This ingredient makes a batch of fluffy slime!
5. Stir in 1 tablespoon contact lens solution.
Mix all the ingredients until mixture starts to come together.
6. Remove from bowl. The mixture will be sticky.
Keeping working and will become perfectly slimy and not sticky the more you work with it.
The girls added a bit more color so it would be really bright! It is best to add the color to the glue. It was more difficult to mix in the color at the end.
Have your children experienced this craze? We can’t get enough. We have made green, purple, blue, pink……………………..more than one gallon of glue has been used. Don’t stop with plain school glue. Glitter glue makes a great galaxy gak!
Your Slime questions answered!
How do you make Elmer’s Slime?
Elmer’s is the brand of glue. Their slime recipe is a typical recipe.
- 1/2 TBSP of Baking Soda
- 1 TBSP of Contact lens solution
- 4 fl oz Elmer’s White school glue
- Your choice of food coloring
1. Find a bowl, cup, or plate to mix your slime in 2. Pour out the entire contents of a 4oz of Elmer’s school glue into the bowl. 3. Add ½ TBSP of baking soda and mix 4. After mixing, add your choice of food coloring. 5. Mix and/or add more food coloring until you get the color you want 6. Add 1 TBSP of contact lens solution 7. Mix until slime forms and it begins to get harder to mix 8. Take the slime out and begin kneading with both of your hands 9. If needed, add ¼ TBSP contact lens solution to make the slime less sticky.
How do you make slime with glue and water?
You can make slime with glue, water, and a few other ingredients. You will need an activator to turn the glue into slime. Any of the slime recipes here use glue and water.
How do you make slime in a Ziplock bag?
If you look at my gak recipe (only two ingredients) you will see step by step instructions for making slime in a bag. Actually, this is my favorite mess-free way to make slime.
Can you keep slime in a Ziplock bag?
Yes! Sealable bags or airtight containers are a great way to keep slime.
Tips for Homemade Slime
- We have found that using different glues only produce slightly different textures. So try different glues….. like clear glue and glitter glue!
- Use food coloring, liquid or gel to make it colored. We have even used glow in the dark paint!
- Don’t worry if it is sticky at first. The more you work with it the less sticky it becomes. How do you make slime less sticky? We have found adding a bit more of the contact solution does the trick to get the desired consistency. Usually though, the more you mix the less sticky it becomes so don’t add too much!
- The food coloring will stain hands. We have found that it comes off in about a day. If this is worrisome just wear gloves.
- Be creative! This is a great kids activity that allows them to experiment with great results. Think of different items you can add. You might add glitter or foam beads to give it different textures.
- Children’s hands can be sensitive. Always wash hands after playing. Contact lens solution does contain boric acid it is still is a borax solution just a safer amount, but still, use caution.
- We have found that all white glue is not the same. Some off brands are harder to work with and don’t come together as easily.
Here is a cool video on how to make glow in the dark slime. No need to stop playing when it gets dark outside, this recipe will light up the night. A cool fun kids activity that will bring hours of fun!
More Slime Recipes
I think we have the best recipes for you. Scroll to the bottom to see them all! Too cool.
If your kids can’t stop learning how to make slime they will love these amazing recipes. Who would have thought there were so many different kinds!
Slime 5 different ways!
Look! You can see through this one. Changing the type of glue you use can make it so clear you can see through it.
Mesmerize kids with this one that glows in the dark. This recipe uses glow in the dark paint. Now, though you can also purchase glow in the dark glue.
How do you make slime without borax or shaving cream?
This is a great recipe that doesn’t use borax or shaving cream. This slime/gak uses liquid starch. While liquid starch contains a tiny bit of borax it is much more friendly to the skin. I was shocked to see on the news where kids were actually getting burns from the borax. This two-ingredient one should be just fine.
It only takes 3 ingredients to make this butter slime. The addition of clay makes it holds its shape.
How do you make slime with salt and shampoo?
If you don’t have glue you can make slime without glue. This recipe uses 3 in one shampoo and salt. It isn’t as stretchy as the regular but is still fun to play with. Warm hands do cause this slime to melt.
What do you do if your slime is too sticky? If it is too sticky add a bit more activator. Learn what to do here.
We are always looking for more recipe variations and are going to try this 3 ingredient one that uses salt. It is as much fun to watch this goo being made as it is to make so check out this video.