How to make Slime
Are your children enthralled with how to make slime? You know that goo that you can’t keep your hands out of. Join the slime craze and learn how with this recipe. This safe DIY slime recipe is completely worry-free. Super easy and FUN! My daughter says it is so addictive! I already talked about how to make slime without borax after seeing on the Today Show how a girl was badly burned. I recently learned though that liquid starch may contain borax. We found out that contact lens solution can act as the binder instead of the borax. This recipe produces a stretchy smooth slime. We also have a recipe for 3 ingredient butter slime and how to make clear slime. I think we have the best slime recipes for you scroll to the bottom to see them all! Too cool.
It doesn’t take many items to make slime. Just a few ingredients you probably have in your pantry and you can make super stretchy fluffy slime!
You will need:
- washable school glue
- food coloring
- Baking Soda & Contact Solution –
Baking soda will combine with the boric acid in contact solution to make borate, the same crosslinking solution that Borax contains. This mixture becomes the slime activator. The saline solution needs to contain active ingredients like sodium borate and boric acid. So yes, even this slime has a touch of borax. Borax powder and liquid starch can also be used as the slime activator
- shaving cream – this will make your slime super fluffy
Learn how to make fluffy slime the safe way. This borax free slime recipe that is perfectly slimy! Your kids will be playing with it for hours and making slime over and over again. All you need are simple ingredients found in your pantry. There is no need to add water.
- 1/2 cup washable school glue
- food coloring
- 1 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/4 cup shaving cream
- 1 tablespoon contact lens solution
Measure glue into a bowl. Add a few drops of food coloring. Once it is the desired color add a few more drops. The shaving cream will make the color lighter. Mix in baking soda then shaving cream, Stir in contact lens solution and mix. The mixture will start to come together. Remove mixture from bowl and knead with hands. The slim will be sticky. The more the slime is played with the less sticky it becomes.
How to make Slime Without Borax
Let us show you how to make slime in six easy steps. This is amazing homemade slime that is safe and borax powder free. It also happens that the addition of shaving cream makes this a fluffy slime.
1. Measure 1/2 cup glue
2. Add color. Add more food coloring than you think you need. The shaving cream will make it lighter.
3. Add in 1 1/2 teaspoons baking soda and mix.
4. Next, add 1/4 cup shaving cream. This slime ingredient makes this fluffy slime!
5. Stir in 1 tablespoon contact lens solution.
Mix all the ingredients until mixture starts to come together.
6. Remove from bowl. The mixture will be sticky.
Keeping working and will become perfectly slimy and not sticky the more you work with it.
The girls added a bit more color so it would be really bright! It is best to add the color with the glue. It was more difficult to mix in the color at the end. Now you know how to make slime!
Have your children experienced the slime craze? We can’t get enough slime. We have made green, purple, blue, pink……………………..one gallon of glue worth of slime at our house has been used.
Tips for Homemade Slime
- We have found that using different glues only produce slightly different textures of slime. So try different glues….. like clear glue and glitter glue!
- Use food coloring, liquid or gel to make colored slime. We have even used glow in the dark paint!
- Don’t worry if it is sticky at first. The more you work with it the less sticky it becomes. How do you make slime less sticky? We have found adding a bit more of the contact solution does the trick.
- The food coloring will stain hands. We have found that it comes off in about a day. If this is worrisome just wear gloves.
- Be creative! This is a great kids activity that allows them to experiment with great results.
Here is a cool slime video on how to make glow in the dark slime. No need to stop playing when it gets dark outside, this recipe will light up the night. A cool fun kids activity that will bring hours of fun!
How to make Slime with more slime recipes
If your kids can’t stop learning how to make slime they will love these amazing slime recipes. Who would have thought there were so many different kinds of slime!
We are always looking for more recipe variations and are going to try this 3 ingredient slime that uses salt. It is as much fun to watch this goo being made as it is to make so check out this video.