Doritos Casserole is easy to make and has a Tex-Mex flare. The Doritos give it a crunch and lots of bold flavors that complement the cheese and taco spices.
I don’t know about you, but I’m a big fan of casseroles. They’re so hearty, comforting and can be a wholesome and filling meal for the entire family. Another family favorite casserole with a Mexican flair is my Creamy Chicken Enchiladas (no cream of chicken soup in this one).
Doritos Casserole Ingredients
This yummy Dorito taco bake takes just a few minutes to whip up and tasted absolutely divine. Plus, it packs in a lot of protein, fiber, and all the other good stuff from the meat, beans, and veggies.
You will need:
- Crushed Doritos Chips
- Diced Tomatoes and Green Chilis
- Taco Seasoning Packet or Homemade Taco Seasoning
- Ground Beef
- Black Olives
- Sour Cream
How to Make Doritos Casserole Recipe
In a large skillet, brown ground beef, chopped onions, and garlic, over medium heat. Drain fat. Add in the taco seasoning, Rotel tomatoes, salsa, beans, and corn. Stir to combine.
Remove from heat and stir in the sour cream to the taco meat mixture.
Prepare a 9 x 13 baking dish by spraying it with cooking spray.
Pour half of the ground beef mixture into the bottom of the greased 9×13 baking dish. Top with 1 cup of shredded cheese and half of the dorito chips.
Repeat the layers with the remaining ingredients, topping with the remaining 1 cup of cheese.
Cover with foil and bake for 20 minutes. Remove the foil and bake for 10 more minutes. Garnish with chopped avocado, olives, and your favorite taco toppings. Serve with sour cream. I think you family will love this tasty dorito taco casserole!
Serve with sour cream and a side of rice. Yum!
What Can I Use Instead of Ground Beef?
While I prefer lean ground beef or ground turkey for this taco casserole, you can still swap for meat like chicken. Remember that you will have to adjust the cooking time for cubed chicken. Go vegetarian and add another can of beans in place of the meat.
Do I Really Need to Cover it With Foil?
Simply covering the casserole dish with foil before you pop it into the oven can help keeps those flavorful juices and all that moisture intact, and can get your casserole to have that perfect taste and texture to it that you’re looking for.
Can I Make This in Advance?
You sure can! It is actually one of those things that makes this recipe a huge success- you can assemble the casserole up to 6 hours in advance and then when you want to dig in, all you need to do is get it into the oven!
Remember to refrigerate the assembled casserole to keep all the ingredients fresh. You will also need to increase the cooking time by a few minutes when you do this because you’ll be starting off with a casserole that’s cold.
How Do I Store the Leftovers?
You can store the leftovers by transferring them to an airtight container and then refrigerating them. They can stay good in there for up to 3 days.
More Tips to Make This Taco Casserole with Doritos Recipe
Ready to go ahead and get started with this recipe? Here are a few tips and tricks to help you make it!
- Remember to use Dorito chips that are at least half an inch in size, if not more. Using smaller crumbs will get your casserole all mushy- not what you want.
- If you don’t have Doritos, you can substitute them with regular tortilla chips. You might even try Cool Ranch Doritos.
- To get a more powerful cheesy flavor to this recipe, you can use a blend of cheeses like pepper jack, cheddar, and or Monterey jack cheese.
- Go crazy with the toppings- they are what bring out the bold flavors of this Dorito casserole. Sour cream, diced tomatoes, sliced olives, jalapenos, chopped green onions, avocado, lettuce, and chopped cilantro are some good options.
Serving Ideas & Suggestions
While this layered Doritos casserole can be a complete meal in itself, you can still pair it up with some of your Mexican favorites if you’re planning to make this for some guests coming over. Here are a few good ideas to get you going.
Printable Doritos Casserole Recipe
This taco casserole with Doritos recipe has all the flavors you adore from a taco without all the work. You’ll be able to have a delicious Mexican casserole that your whole family will love with just a few ingredients and about 20 minutes of prep time!
- 1 cup chopped onion about 1 medium onion
- 2 cloves garlic minced (2 teaspoons chopped)
- 1 pound lean ground beef
- 1 package taco seasoning mix
- 1 10 ounce can Ro-tel tomatoes and chiles
- 1 cup salsa
- 1 can corn drained
- 1 can black beans rinsed and drained
- 1 cup sour cream
- 2 cups grated cheddar cheese
- 1 9.75- ounce bag Doritos chips very coarsely crushed
- diced tomatoes, cilanto, jalapeños, diced avadado, sour cream optional garnishes
- Preheat the oven to 350°F.
- In a large skillet, brown ground beef, chopped onions and garlic, over medium heat. Drain fat. Add in the taco seasoning, Ro-tel, and the salsa. Stir to combine. Remove from heat and stir in the sour cream.
- Pour half of the meat mixture into the bottom of greased 9×13 baking dish. Top with 1 cup of the cheese and half of the Doritos. Repeat the process with the remaining ingredients, topping with the remaining 1 cup of the cheese.
- Cover with foil and bake for 20 minutes. Remove the foil and bake for 10 more minutes.
- Top with optional garnishes.
Let me know if you make this easy dorito casserole recipe! I would love to know what you think.