The classic flavors of Snickerdoodle cupcakes are a little bite of heaven! If you love Snickerdoodle cookies these cupcakes are for you!
Are you a Snickerdoodle cookie fan? If you need to whip up a batch of your favorite cookies this easy Snickerdoodle cookie recipe will hit the spot. The cinnamon-sugar topping makes these cookies! Yum!
Thank you for stopping by today. Please check out more delicious recipes and leave me a comment and let me know how your family liked this one!
Snickerdoodle cupcakes take me back in time when I was a child in my Mom’s and Grandma’s kitchen. The difference was they baked the best homemade Snickerdoodle cookies. No matter how they’re made, the sweet cinnamon taste always reminds me of them.
So if you are like me, you’ll find comfort in these Snickerdoodle cupcakes with cinnamon buttercream frosting. Are you ready to taste this family favorite? Let’s get you started.
This is a two-part recipe that includes a Snickerdoodle cupcake recipe and a recipe for Snickerdoodle Buttercream Frosting. It comes together quickly and will become a family favorite. Just you wait and see.
To start, my Snickerdoodle cupcakes use cake mix as part of the cake batter to keep it simple. Once finished you will have a moist and delicious cupcake. When topped with frosting and cinnamon they are simply elegant.
What do you need to make Snickerdoodle cupcakes
Did you know when you use a cake mix you eliminate the need to measure ingredients like flour, baking powder, baking soda, and salt? Doing so saves time – whoo hoo.
- package plain white cake mix or yellow cake mix
- large eggs
- butter, melted
- vanilla extract
- ground cinnamon
Are you looking for a gluten-free Snickerdoodle cupcake recipe? Try this gluten-free white cake (affiliate link). This particular cake is gluten-free, vegan, soy-free, nut-free, dairy-free, and Kosher. A definite win-win for people with food allergies.
- softened salted butter
- vanilla extract
- ground cinnamon
- pinch of salt
- powder sugar
- brown sugar
Equipment and supplies
- electric mixer or stand mixer
- large mixing bowl for the cake batter
- large mixing bowl for the frosting
- small bowl or 1 cup measuring cup for the butter
- silicone spatula (affiliate link)
- muffin pan (affiliate link)
- wire rack (affiliate link; after baking place the muffin tin on the wire rack to cool more quickly)
- cupcake wrappers
- piping bag and tips of your choice (a large star tip works great for cupcakes [affiliate link])
How to Make Snickerdoodle cupcakes
Here’s how easy it is to make these delicious cupcakes. Begin by referring to the recipe card and preheating your oven to 350 degrees. Then place cupcake liners in the muffin tins. (I always set out 24 regular sized, sometimes I get 24 sometimes less. I have often found it depends on the cake mix).
Next, place the butter in a small microwavable bowl and melt the butter. I do this first so the butter has time to cool before adding to the other ingredients. If you microwave on power 5 for 30-second increments it gently melts the butter and doesn’t take as long to cool.
Mix together the cake mix, milk, melted butter, eggs, vanilla, and cinnamon in a large mixing bowl. You can do this with an electric mixer on medium for three minutes. Scrape the bowl halfway through the mixing process.
Don’t worry if you don’t want to use a mixer, you can do it by hand until smooth. Watch that you don’t over mix it.
Pour batter into the prepared muffin tins making sure to fill them about 2/3 to 3/4 the way full. Under filling the cupcake wrappers will make flat cupcakes and overfilling may cause your cupcakes to overflow when baking.
Bake for 15-20 minutes. Check them at 15 minutes. Do not overbake. Once done place the muffin pans on a wire rack allowing the cakes to cool completely.
Now for the frosting! It is divine…
Snickerdoodle Frosting Recipe
Begin by allowing the butter to soften at room temperature. Then in an electric mixer mix butter until fluffy. Slowly add in the vanilla, cinnamon, salt, and sugars to the butter. Gently add milk two tablespoons at a time until you reach the consistency you desire.
Next, mix for about a minute with an electric mixer until fluffy. Once it is fluffed you are ready to decorate.
To decorate, place frosting in a piping bag fitted with a large star pastry tip. Pipe frosting onto cupcakes making beautiful star peaks. Then sprinkle the tops with cinnamon for the perfect Snickerdoodle bite.
This time I made a mixture of regular and mini cupcakes. I ended up not having enough frosting and made another batch. Keep in mind when you make more surfaces to cover you will need more creamy delicious frosting.
There you have it, the cupcake that takes you back to Grandma’s kitchen. Oh so delicious!
If you like cupcakes you might like the Cream Filled Chocolate Cupcakes with Chocolate Ganache Frosting. YUM!
I would love to keep you fully stocked with creative ideas, yummy recipes, fun crafts, and loads of free printables. Subscribe to Skip to my Lou to get new ideas delivered to your inbox. Follow me on Facebook, Pinterest, Twitter, and Instagram for all my latest updates.
- Electric mixer or sand mixer
- Large mixing bowl for mixing the cake
- Large mixing bowl for mixing the frosting
- Silicone Spatula
- Muffin tin
- Wire rack
- cupcake wrappers
- 1 package plain white cake mix or yellow cake mix
- 3 large eggs
- 1 cup milk
- 1/2 cup butter melted
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
Snickerdoodle Buttercream Frosting
- 1/2 cup salted butter softened
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 teaspoons cinnamon
- 1 pinch salt
- 3 3/4 cups powder sugar
- 1/4 cup brown sugar
- 2-4 tablespoons milk Add two tablespoons at a time until you reach the consistency you desire. Use more milk if needed.
Cupcake Recipe Instructions
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Place cupcake liners in the pan. (I always set out 24 regular sized, sometimes I get 24 sometimes less. I have often found it depends on the cake mix.)
- Mix the cake mix, milk, melted butter, eggs, vanilla, and cinnamon in a large mixing bowl with an electric mixer on medium for three minutes. Scrape the bowl halfway through.
- Pour batter into muffin pans. Filling the muffin liners 2/3 to 3/4 full.
- Bake 15-20 minutes. Check at 15 minutes. Do not overbake.
- Allow the cakes to cool completely on a wire rack.
Snickerdoodle Buttercream Frosting Instructions
- Mix softened butter until fluffy and slowly add in sugars and other ingredients. (Don't forget to add the milk two tablespoons at a time until you meet your desired consistency.)
- Blend for about a minute with an electric mixer until fluffy.
- Place frosting in a pastry bag fitted with a large star pastry tip.
- Pipe frosting onto cupcakes.
- Once cupcakes are frosted using a fine strainer sprinkle the tops with cinnamon.