SUBSCRIBE VIA EMAILSubscribe to Skip to my Lou posts
and receive them in your email inbox!
Hi, I’m Melanie and I blog at A Sewing Journal. I love to sew (and talk about fabric) and I’m excited to join in Skip to My Lou’s Holiday Bake, Craft and Sew Along!
Materials to make 4 coasters:
- 16 pieces of fabric cut into 3″ x 6″ pieces
- 4 pieces of quilt batting cut into 5.5″ x 6″ pieces
Directions (note: 1/4 inch seam allowances were used throughout):
- Decide how you would like to pair up fabric. I chose one solid with one patterned piece for each side.
- Sew pairs right sides together.
- Press seam allowances open.
- Trim all finished pairs so they are the same size. Trim the batting at this time, too, if needed.
- Make a quilt sandwich with fabric placed right sides together and batting on wrong side of one of the fabric pieces. Be sure that the sides line up neatly, pin if necessary. Match patterned fabric to solid fabric.
- Sew around perimeter leaving a 3″ opening on one side.
5. Cut points off corners and turn right-side-out through opening, taking care that the batting goes inside and the fabric goes on the outside. Be sure to push corners out using a pointed tool, knitting needle or chopstick.
6. Press, turning the edges of the opening under.
7. Edgestitch around perimeter of coaster.
This is a fast and easy way to make quilted coasters. If you wanted to take a little more time you could quilt around the design on the patterned side which would create a quilted design on the solid side.
If you like quick and easy sewing projects, be sure to check out these tutorials from my blog as well: