Make Somebodys Day! Send Good Vibes. Everything you need over 50% OFF. Learn More
Egg Strata is the perfect savory element for your next breakfast or brunch gathering. Imagine French sourdough bread, crispy salty bacon, creamy gouda, gruyere or cheddar cheese baked with protein packed eggs. See how this make-ahead breakfast strata a crowd-pleaser?
Related: Here are two more egg dishes you’ve got to try: Monster Shaker Eggs and Eggs in muffin cups recipe.
So, this savory bread pudding can be made with day old bread without a problem. You could even substitute ham or sausage for the bacon.
Egg Strata Ingredients
● 12 large eggs
● 3 cups whole milk (or half & half)
● 2 cups shredded sharp cheddar cheese
● 1/2 cup shredded gouda, gruyere or Swiss cheese
● 1 pound bacon, cooked and chopped (about 1 inch pieces, I chop before
● 1 teaspoon salt
● 1 teaspoon ground mustard
● 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
12-ounce loaf of French bread
Putting it Together
1. Grease 9X13 inch (3 quart) baking dish the baking dish with cooking spray.
2. Now, cook bacon in a large skillet over medium heat and set aside.
3. In a large bowl, whisk eggs, milk, salt, ground mustard, and garlic powder until fully blended.
4. Then, slice bread loaf into 1-to-2-inch chunks and place them in the baking dish. Top bread with cheeses and bacon. Then slightly mix bread to distribute the cheese and bacon.
5. Then, pour the egg mixture over the top of the bread cubes. Cover and chill until ready to bake.
6. Let the strata recipe rest for at least one hour, so the bread soaks up all the eggs. Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F. This can be made ahead and refrigerated overnight
7. Bake, uncovered, for about 50 minutes, until the top is golden-brown and puffy in the center. Insert a knife into the center to check that the eggs are set. If not, bake another 5-10 minutes.
8. Let set for 5-10 minutes before cutting. Serve warm!
Serving and Storage Suggestions
If you are making this Egg Strata the day before, cover and store in the refrigerator before cooking. Remove from the refrigerator 30 minutes before cooking to allow eggs and dish to warm up.
Then, after the meal, refrigerate any leftovers in an airtight container.
You may want to finely chop a few scallions in case someone wants to sprinkle a few on top.
Before You Brunch
I am so happy you are here! I love sharing recipes and helping people gather around the table with good food! When you need something delicious to share with friends please come to me!
- Do you and your guests like onions, sundried tomatoes and mozzarella cheese in your make ahead Egg Casserole?
- So, try this California Egg Casserole for a meatless egg dish bursting with avocadoes and fresh tomatoes.
- Here’s my Quiche recipe with mushrooms, nutmeg, Swiss cheese and ham for the win. This recipe makes 2 quiches which is always helpful.
- Cinnamon Rolls are a sweet addition to this savory dish.
- Finally, Herb Cheese Rolls are from scratch savory yeasty rolls featuring the flavor of parmesan cheese, oregano and any other favorite savory seasoning.
Leave a Reply