Hard Shell Ice Cream topping is like magic! Our family loves Magic Shell ice cream topping. You know that wonderful stuff that goes on liquid and then immediately hardens to make a hard yummy chocolate shell. It is is so amazing! Making your own magic shell ice cream topping is unbelievably easy— and it tastes pretty close to the real Magic Shell! My family even thought it tasted like the dipped cones at Dairy Queen. You might even want to try this fun twist, Butterscotch Magic Shell. Scroll all the way to the bottom for more ideas for delicious homemade ice cream toppings.
Magic Shell Ice Cream Topping Recipe
1 1/4 Cups Chocolate Chips
1/2 Cup Coconut Oil (measured when solid)
Melt chocolate chips and coconut oil in the microwave about 1 minute (depending on your microwave). Allow to sit a few minutes to allow the heat of the oil to melt the chocolate chips and then stir until smooth. It will be runny.
Pour into a bottle. We used a recycled pickle relish bottle. A glass bottle works well too, especially since it will be heated in the microwave.
Store in the refrigerator. To serve, heat bottle in microwave (open cap) for 30 seconds until liquid. Slightly shake and continue heating at 15 second intervals if not liquid after the first 30 seconds. Pour over your favorite ice cream and in a few seconds you will see magic!
Magic Shell Ice Cream Topping Recipe
Better than store bought this liquid chocolate turns into a hard shell when you pour it over ice cream.
- 1 1/4 Cups Chocolate Chips
- 1/2 Cup Coconut Oil measured when solid
- Melt chocolate chips and coconut oil in the microwave about 1 minute (depending on your microwave). Allow sitting a few minutes to allow the heat of the oil to melt the chocolate chips and then stir until smooth. It will be runny.
- Pour into a bottle. We used a recycled pickle relish bottle. A glass bottle works well too, especially since it will be heated in the microwave.
- Store in the refrigerator. To serve, heat bottle in the microwave (open cafor 30 seconds until liquid. Slightly shake and continue heating at 15-second intervals if not liquid after the first 30 seconds. Pour over your favorite ice cream and in a few seconds, you will see the magic!
Recipe Video[brid autoplay="true" video="454210" player="18814" title="Homemade Magic Shell" description="Hard Shell Ice Cream topping is like magic!" duration="62" uploaddate="2019-08-22 15:19:11" thumbnailurl="//cdn.brid.tv/live/partners/14570/thumb/454210_t_1566487141.png"]
- You can substitute butter for the coconut oil, however the coconut oil gives the more ‘real’ Magic Shell flavor.
- You can use milk chocolate chips, but everyone we served preferred the semi-sweet chocolate chips.
- This homemade magic shell is great to keep on hand for a last minute dessert for unexpected guests.
Do you love ice cream? Try making ice cream in a can or ice cream in a zip loc bag. You might also enjoy these yummy ice cream sandwiches! Don’t forget if you are looking for more ice cream toppings ideas this butterscotch magic shell is delish! Here are even some more ice cream topping ideas.
Here are even some more ice cream topping ideas.
Ice Cream Toppings
Did you ever think you could make Homemade Sprinkles? You can tailor them to your favorite colors and flavors; however you make them, these sprinkles are worlds apart from the store-bought, plastic-canister version.
Delicious Praline Ice Cream Sauce that is made in the microwave is a super treat. It makes a yummy edible gift at the holidays too!
Everyone knows Pineapple Ice Cream Topping a must when it comes to making a killer banana split. This recipe has no corn syrup or high fructose corn syrup and you can make it in less time than it takes to go to the store and buy it.
Ten Minute Hot Fudge Sauce is an incredibly simple and absolutely delicious fudge sauce that you can make in just 10 minutes!
Strawberry Ice Cream Topping is a delicious sauce that will make your kitchen smell unbelievably scrumptious. There is no comparison between this and the store-bought variety – the flavor is bright, fresh and bold. While this is perfect as an ice cream topping, you could also use it on top of waffles, pancakes, crepes or whatever else you enjoy topping with a strawberry sauce!
More Ice Cream Toppings Recipes
Homemade Salted Caramel Sauce with only 4 ingredients required! It’s sweet, sticky, buttery, salted sugary goodness. Liquid gold, as some may call it.
If you like to keep things simple nothing beats chocolate syrup. Try this Hershey Chocolate Syrup Knock Off Recipe.
And last but not least, homemade marshmallow topping. It’s not really marshmallow, since there’s no gelatin. It’s more like Marshmallow Fluff, but thinner so you can drizzle it on top of all these delicious ice cream toppings.
Oh wait you will need a cherry on top. These Healthy Homemade Maraschino Cherries are perfect for Banana Splits parfaits and more! No need for the alcohol, artificial food dyes, high fructose corn syrup and preservatives whatsoever.