Make Somebodys Day! Send Good Vibes. Everything you need over 50% OFF. Learn More
My family loves tomato soup! How about yours? It is cold here and the kids are home on break so this is a perfect lunch. Actually, this is the best tomato soup — great for company too!
The best tomato soup recipe!
This tomato soup is famous! In Texas, there is a wonderful restaurant, La Madeleine, that serves the most delicious tomato soup. La Madeleine would not reveal the recipe for its tomato basil soup, however, the recipe was out there. Apparently, the company allowed it to be published in a charity cookbook early on before it became a favorite of everyone. Then one day the recipe appeared in a press kit for La Madeleine’s 15th birthday. This recipe was published in the Dallas Morning News and my sweet aunt forwarded it to me. This recipe isn’t quite as chunky or as rich as La Madeleine’s but it is still soooo good.
- 4 cups tomatoes peeled, cored and chopped, or 4 cups canned whole tomatoes, crushed
- 4 cups tomato juice
- 12 - 14 washed fresh basil leaves plus additional for garnish, chopped
- 1 cup whipping cream
- 1/2 cup sweet unsalted butter, softened
- Salt to taste
- 1/4 teaspoon cracked black pepper
- Crusty bread optional
Combine tomatoes and juice in a saucepan. Simmer for 30 minutes over
medium-low heat. Cool slightly, then place in a blender or food
processor. Add basil and process to puree; this will have to be done in
Return mixture to saucepan. Add cream and butter. Stir over low heat
until butter and cream are incorporated. Stir in salt and pepper before
serving. Garnish with more fresh basil and serve with fresh, crusty
bread. Makes 8 servings.
Notes: When I don't have fresh basil I use 1 Tablespoon dried. When making this soup for my family for a quick meal I often use half and half in place of the heavy cream and cut back on the butter. It is still yummy, but the real thing is divine!
Recipe by: La Madeleine French Bakery & Cafe, Dallas TX
Per serving: Cal 237 Fat 22g Fiber 1g Chol. 67 mg Sodium 165 mg Carbs 10g Calcium 45g
Tomato Soup Tips:
- I always used canned tomatoes. It is just easier and I can make this soup super quickly in minutes!
- I use 1 Tablespoon dried basil when I don’t have fresh.
- When making this soup for my family for a quick meal I use half and half in place of the heavy cream and cut back on the butter. It is still yummy, but the real thing is divine!