My family loves tomato soup! How about yours? It is cold here and the kids are home on break so this is a perfect lunch. Actually, this is the best tomato soup — great for company too!
The best tomato soup recipe!
This tomato soup is famous! In Texas, there is a wonderful restaurant, La Madeleine, that serves the most delicious tomato soup. La Madeleine would not reveal the recipe for its tomato basil soup, however, the recipe was out there. Apparently, the company allowed it to be published in a charity cookbook early on before it became a favorite of everyone. Then one day the recipe appeared in a press kit for La Madeleine’s 15th birthday. This recipe was published in the Dallas Morning News and my sweet aunt forwarded it to me. This recipe isn’t quite as chunky or as rich as La Madeleine’s but it is still soooo good.
- 4 cups tomatoes peeled, cored and chopped, or 4 cups canned whole tomatoes, crushed
- 4 cups tomato juice
- 12 - 14 washed fresh basil leaves plus additional for garnish, chopped
- 1 cup whipping cream
- 1/2 cup sweet unsalted butter, softened
- Salt to taste
- 1/4 teaspoon cracked black pepper
- Crusty bread optional
- Combine tomatoes and juice in a saucepan. Simmer for 30 minutes over
- medium-low heat. Cool slightly, then place in a blender or food
- processor. Add basil and process to puree; this will have to be done in
- Return mixture to saucepan. Add cream and butter. Stir over low heat
- until butter and cream are incorporated. Stir in salt and pepper before
- serving. Garnish with more fresh basil and serve with fresh, crusty
- bread. Makes 8 servings.
Recipe by: La Madeleine French Bakery & Cafe, Dallas TX
Per serving: Cal 237 Fat 22g Fiber 1g Chol. 67 mg Sodium 165 mg Carbs 10g Calcium 45g
Tomato Soup Tips:
- I always used canned tomatoes. It is just easier and I can make this soup super quickly in minutes!
- I use 1 Tablespoon dried basil when I don’t have fresh.
- When making this soup for my family for a quick meal I use half and half in place of the heavy cream and cut back on the butter. It is still yummy, but the real thing is divine!
Yes, Trisha I think that would work great!
Can you use an immersion blender?
Recipes sound great ! Will try them for my vegan son ! And us too ! Thanks a bunch Cindy ! ❤️
I had dinner there last night after a long day of shopping. I would like every recipe they have. Everything, and I mean everything was beyond delicious. I had a chicken sandwich on the most wonderful bread. The pasta salad was the best I’ve ever had, as was the potato soup. Bless you for this recipe. My daughter had the tomato soup and it is wonderful. Pastries looked wonderful, but I was so full. Now I’m thinking why didn’t I get some to go! Visiting my daughter and I love this La Madeleine’s!!!!
This recipe from your site has become one of our family’s favorites – even for the kids. It is so tasty! We usually cut out the butter and use whole milk or half-and-half and it still tastes divine (have made the full-fat version and it is to-die-for). Thank you, thank you for sharing!
Oh Yes!!! I am a Texas Gal and this is so wonderful!! Their French Onion Soup is also very good!! Thanks for finding it and posting it up!!
Yum! I’ll have to try it out. I love their soup!
Amy in Texas
oh. my. goodness. That looks absolutely delicious. Bookmarked.
I made this tonight and it was wonderful. My husband LOVED it!! Thank you for sharing!