Whether you’re a beginner crocheter or a seasoned yarn enthusiast, this single crochet tutorial will guide you through the steps with ease. This is one of the most basic stitches that form part of different crochet projects. It is a great stitch that can help you make anything from stuffed animals to blankets, and so much more. In this step by step photo tutorial, I’ll be helping you grasp the art of the single crochet.
Single crochet is your go-to choice for a compact stitch pattern. It’s used in different ways to make all types of projects such as stuffed animals, blankets, scarves and hats, pot holders, and more. If you’d like to give them a try, I’ll share with you some crochet stitch tutorials at the end of this blog post.
Now, let’s jump into the step-by-step instructions for crafting the perfect single crochet stitch.
How to Make a Single Crochet: Step-by-Step
– Crochet hook (Here’s a guide to pick the right size mm crochet hook)
Step 1: Foundation Row
Make a foundation chain of the desired length, it will be the base for your first row of single crochets.
Step 2: Insert Hook
Insert your crochet hook under the stitch underneath.
Step 3: Yarn Over
Wrap the yarn over your hook from back to front, creating a loop around the hook.
Step 4: Pull Through
Pull this loop through the chain, so you now have two loops on your hook.
Step 5: Complete the Stitch
For the last stitch, wrap the yarn over your hook once more, and pull it through both loops on the hook. You’ve just completed your first single crochet!
Step 7: Continue Across
Repeat steps 4 to 7 as many times as needed!
Step 9: Turning Chain
When you reach the end of the row, chain one and turn your work. This ensures the correct height for your next stitch. Now, you’re ready to create your next row of single crochets!
Knowing these basic crochet stitches will prepare you to tackle a wide range of crochet projects, from scarves to blankets and beyond. Experiment with different techniques, colors, and stitch patterns to create unique and beautiful pieces.
My Favorite Crochet Tools
- If you are like me and like to crochet on the go this tote is a stylish way to keep everything you need at your fingertips!
- My MOST FAVORITE tool is these portable scissors that always make it through security and fit perfectly in my hook case.
- A️ yarn bowl is a beautiful way to wrangle yarn while crocheting
- Keep organized with this crochet hooks kit with a case. This 85-piece kit has over 2,500 ⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️ five-star reviews.
- Crochet Stitch Dictionary: 200 Essential Stitches with Step-by-Step Photos is the most helpful resource to keep handy!
Easy Crochet Projects For you:
- Crochet Sweater Patterns For Everyone
- Crochet Star
- Crochet Wreath Ornament
- Crochet Stitches
- Crochet Baby Blanket Patterns
- Crochet Scarf Patterns
I would love to keep you fully stocked with creative ideas, yummy recipes, fun crafts, and loads of free printables. Subscribe to Skip to my Lou to get new ideas delivered to your inbox. Follow me on Facebook, Pinterest, Twitter, and Instagram for all my latest updates.