Muddy Buddies are crispy cereal coated in a mixture of chocolate, peanut butter, and butter, and dusted with powdered sugar. An easy no-bake recipe that is super yummy.
You might also like my Valentine’s Puppy Chow or use this Muddy Buddy recipe to tell a friend you miss them with these miss my buddies gift tags.
Chex Mix Muddy Buddies uses Chex cereal. You can use corn Chex, rice Chex or a combination of both. If you like to have both corn and rice flavors you can use Crispix cereal. If you want to do that check out my Puppy Chow Recipes. It uses the whole box of cereal, more chocolate. more peanut butter for more goodness! Either way, you will make delicious Muddy Buddies.
.IS IT CALLED PUPPY CHOW OR MUDDY BUDDIES?
Some might call it muddy buddies but actually either name works. I have also heard this delicious treat is called Monkey munch, Muddy munch, Reindeer chow or Monster munch.
Why is it called puppy chow?
It is often called puppy chow because it closely resembles dog food. But this is NOT dog food. Please don’t feed it to your dogs.
Muddy Buddy Recipe
Friends and family love this recipe. All that powdered sugar makes it finger lickin’ good.
You will need the following to make this sweet treat:
- semisweet chocolate chips (milk chocolate chips work too!)
- peanut butter
- powdered sugar
- cereal (Chex or Crispix)
- 2-gallon resealable food storage plastic bag
- waxed paper or parchment paper
- 1 cup semisweet chocolate chips
- 1/2 cup peanut butter
- 1/4 cup butter or margarine
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1 1/2 cups powdered sugar
- 9 cups Rice Chex® Corn Chex®, or Chocolate Chex® cereal (or combination)
- Measure cereal, set aside.
- Microwave chocolate chips, peanut butter and butter on High for 1 minute, stir. Microwave about 30 seconds longer or until mixture can be stirred smooth. Stir in vanilla.
- Pour mixture over cereal, stirring until evenly coated. Put mixture in a 2 gallon resealable food storage plastic bag.
- Add powdered sugar. Seal bag and shake until well coated. Spread on waxed paper or parchment paper to cool. Store in airtight container in refrigerator.