Make Somebodys Day! Send Good Vibes. Everything you need over 50% OFF. Learn More
My name is Beckie and I blog over at Infarrantly Creative, Knock off Décor, and the recently launched Roadkill Rescue. Have you started sewing up a storm yet with all these rockin’ tutorials here on STML?
Well I haven’t done a sewing project in a while so I was excited to dust off my machine and do a simple one for you today. I call it my Ransom Note Sweatshirt.
Who doesn’t love something with their name on it? This would be a great gift for anyone on your list this year. This project is simple and takes less than an hour to complete plus uses recycled t-shirts.
Supplies for Monogrammed Sweatshirt
Old t-shirts with words on it
How to make a Ransom Note Sweatshirt
1. Before you give all those old t-shirts to Goodwill grab out some of the ones that have wording on it.
2. Decide what you want the back of your shirt to say. I used both my first and last names on the ones I did. Start cutting out the letters and laying them out to see how they look.
3. Using different fonts, sizes and colors line up your letters to your liking until you have all the letters cut out for your word or name.
4. Cut out small rectangles of Wonder Under and iron it (textured side touching the t-shirt letter) onto the back of your letters. Slowly peel off the backing.
5. Arrange the letters onto the back of a sweatshirt (face up) and put a press cloth over them and then iron over the press cloth. This will heat up the Wonder Under and allow the letters to stick while you sew around them.
6. Using coordinating or contrasting thread (your choice!) sew around each letter.
This is a fun birthday or baby shower gift too. How about a ransom note onesie?
Thanks Cindy for asking me to be a part of this series. I have over 200 tutorials on my site if you want to check them out. There are a ton of gift ideas to inspire you. Here are a couple to check out.