If you have come looking to make TRULY dangerous toys for boys you are at the right spot! Or maybe you have finally succumbed to the constant whining about “needing” a bullwhip since the release of the new Indiana Jones movie. Either way, this easy homemade bullwhip is sure to contribute to hours of playing Raiders of the Lost Ark.
Thank you to Wesley Scoggins Indy Mogul for the clever idea to use duct tape for this Indiana Jones bullwhip. The brown duct tape makes the bullwhip look real and it really is an easy diy whip that even your kids can help with.
How to make a duct tape bullwhip
- Brown “Duck” tape (we found this at Wal-Mart) cut into 3- 12 foot lengths
- 10″ piece of 3/8″ wooden dowel rod
- a foot or so of twine for the “popper” if desired
1.Begin by placing two chairs 12 feet apart. Place three strips of tape between the chairs.
2. Fold each of the pieces of tape in half length ways-leave attached to the chair.
3. Leave tape hooked on one of the chairs and begin braiding. Braiding 12 feet of duct tape isn’t really pleasant but is certainly less painful than paying $50.00 plus for a bullwhip! We tried several methods: hanging it up high, and laying it on the ground. We found it easiest to leave it attached to the chair and have another person help untangle the strips of duck tape as you braid. My eleven-year-old Harrison Ford wannabe was able to do most of the braiding.
4. Once you have reached the end take another piece of tape and wrap it around the braid to fasten off.
5. Remove the other end from the chair and attach these ends of tape to the wooden dowel.
6. Begin wrapping the dowel with tape until you have completely covered the handle. When finished we took a small piece of tape and covered each end and then wrapped a small piece once again around the dowel to make it secure.
7. If you want to make the popper. as it definitely adds to the authentic look of the Indiana Jones bullwhip.
Finished! How does it work?—–Probably not well enough to kill someone or allow you to hang from a tree (we’re trying though) but well enough to cause some damage to your house and possibly harm a friend, so please be careful cracking a bullwhip!
Hopefully, I have shown you how to make a whip in under 30 minutes. Although it took us a few tries, we definitely had a great afternoon together with lots of. laughing and brainstorming. I’m always amazed at how creative kids can be, especially when they want something as cool as an Indiana Jones whip!
Duct Tape or Duck Tape
Duct tape, also known as duck tape, is a widely used adhesive tape. It was originally developed during World War II as a waterproof adhesive for bandages and ammunition cases. Its versatility soon found other uses – from patching up leaky pipes to taping pieces of cardboard together to make a makeshift shelter.
Duct tape is still one of the most useful tools to use in a survival situation or just fixing something around the house.
Duct tape refers to a broad range of tapes, while Duck Tape® refers to a specific brand of duct tape.
More Duct Tape Crafts
Now that you have the duct tape out here are a few more things to make.
- Learn how to make a Duck tape wallet. It will be waterproof and super durable.
- Can you believe this special tape can be turned into flowers?
- Keep pencils handy with this DIY Duck tape pencil bag.
- Here is more stuff to make with a piece of duct tape.
I would love to keep you fully stocked with creative ideas, yummy recipes, fun crafts, and loads of free printables. Subscribe to Skip to my Lou to get new ideas delivered to your inbox. Follow me on Facebook, Pinterest, Twitter, and Instagram for all my latest updates.