Make Somebodys Day! Send Good Vibes. Everything you need over 50% OFF. Learn More
Learn how to make fortune cookies in just a few steps with this easy fortune cookie recipe! Not only are they are tasty and fun to make, the personalized fortunes inside are a perfect end to any dinner or party.
The fortune cookies you can get at restaurants may have words of wisdom or love life advice, but we personally love funny fortunes. If you love a good fortune-telling game, try making these paper fortune tellers, or make this version that gets kids to do a few chores.
Fortune Cookie Sayings
Before starting the cookies, you’ll need to prepare slips of paper with fortune cookie messages. You can write fortunes, words of wisdom, jokes, or anything else you like! Here are a few ideas for classic fortune cookie quotes:
- Don’t worry about money. The best things in life are free.
- A thrilling time is in your immediate future.
- If you refuse to accept anything but the best, you very often get it.
- Avoid taking unnecessary gambles.
- Don’t pursue happiness – create it.
- Do or do not. There is no try.
- Courage is not the absence of fear; it is the conquest of it.
- Be on the alert to recognize your prime at whatever time of your life it may be.
- A friend asks only for your time, not your money.
- All things are difficult before they are easy.
- Patience is your alley at the moment. Don’t worry!
- The real kindness comes from within you.
- A chance meeting opens new doors to success and friendship.
Download and print —> Fortune Cookie Fortunes
How to make fortune cookies
After you’ve spooned a tablespoon of your batter onto the pan, you’ll spread it out. Working from the center in a circular motion, spread the batter into a thin, 5-inch circle.
Start with two cookies. Once you’re comfortable with the process, more can be baked at one time. Because of the size of the cookie, I was only able to ever bake two at a time per pan. But this worked out well as a process: I used two pans and staggered the baking time, so I had time to form the cookies until I’d used up all the remaining batter – you’ll get into the rhythm of making each batch!
Bake until edges are lightly golden brown. Mine baked for 6 minutes. Start watching closely at 4 minutes. Every oven bakes differently, and sugary batter will crisp quickly, so be sure to pay attention.
How to Fold a Fortune Cookie
Now, working quickly, remove the cookie from your pan with a very thin spatula.
Next, flip the cookie over and place the fortune on top of the cookie.
Working quickly, bring the sides up and pinch together. I recommend wearing thin cotton gloves to handle the hot cookies so you don’t get burned.
Next, quickly bend cookie over the edge of a cup. The whole process of forming the cookie should take about 10 seconds. You must move fast because once the cookie cools it will not be flexible.
If you like, these homemade fortune cookies can be placed in cute Chinese take-out containers for a fun gift!
How easy was that!?!
Fortune Cookie Recipe
Print this handy recipe card for reference and let me know if you make them!
Fortune Cookie Recipe
Easy recipe to make homemade fortune cookies
- 2 egg whites
- 1/2 cup flour sifted
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 2 tablespoons water
- 1 tsp almond extract
- 1/2 tsp. vanilla extract
Set oven to 400F degrees.
1) Place egg whites in a bowl and beat with electric mixer on medium speed until very frothy, almost soft peaks.
2) Add sifted flour,
3) Add sugar, almond, and vanilla then mix.
4) Stir in 2 tablespoons of water to thin batter.
5) Using a Silpat baking mat, parchment paper or un-greased baking pan place 1 tablespoon of batter on the pan. (I liked the Silpat mat the best. I did not have a problem removing them from my un-greased pan. When I greased the pan the batter did not stay in a circle. Since the moisture content in the batter is high, it does make the parchment paper wrinkle slightly but it still worked.)
Recipe Video[brid autoplay="true" video="454208" player="18814" title="How to Make Fortune Cookies" description="Easy recipe to make homemade fortune cookies." duration="70" uploaddate="2019-08-22 15:18:39" thumbnailurl="//cdn.brid.tv/live/partners/14570/thumb/454208_t_1566487108.png"]
Makes about 12 fortune cookies
Fortune Cookie Facts
- There are 107 calories in a fortune cookie you get at a restaurant, these homemade ones only have 55.
- 3 billion fortune cookies are made each year.
- Are fortune cookies Japanese or Chinese? Neither! Fortune cookies are an American invention – although the history of the fortune cookie is truly an international story.
- Before the 20th century, all fortune cookies were made by hand, until a California inventor created a cookie-making machine.
Don’t miss a thing! Sign up to get crafty ideas, recipes, sewing tutorials and more delivered right to your inbox. Follow Skip to My Lou on FB to find out the latest news! Join me at Pinterest and Instagram for an extra dose of fun!