Easy to Make Fortune Cookies
Learn how to make an easy fortune cookie in just a few steps. There are tasty and fun to make! If you love a good fortune try these paper fortune tellers or this version that gets kids to do a few chores.
Fortune Cookie Sayings
Before starting the cookies make slips of paper with fortune cookie messages. Write fortunes or anything you like! You can even print them on the printer. Here are a few ideas for fortune cookie quotes.
- Don’t worry about money. The best things in life are free.
- A thrilling time is in your immediate future.
- If you refuse to accept anything but the best, you very often get it.
- Avoid taking unnecessary gambles.
- Don’t pursue happiness – create it.
- Do or do not. There is no try.
- Courage is not the absence of fear; it is the conquest of it.
- Be on the alert to recognize your prime at whatever time of your life it may be.
- A friend asks only for your time, not your money.
- All things are difficult before they are easy.
- Patience is your alley at the moment. Don’t worry!
- The real kindness comes from within you.
- A chance meeting opens new doors to success and friendship.
How to make a fortune cookie
Working from the center in a circular motion, spread the batter into a 5-inch circle.
Start with two cookies. Once comfortable with the process more can be baked at one time. I was only able to ever bake two at a time. I used two pans and staggered the baking time so I had time to form the cookies until all the remaining batter is used.
Bake until edges are lightly golden brown. Mine baked for 6 minutes. Start watching closely at 4 minutes. Every oven bakes differently so be sure to pay attention.
Working quickly, remove the cookie from pan with a very thin spatula.
10) Flip the cookie over and place the fortune on top of the cookie.
Working quickly, bring the sides up and pinch together. It helps to wear thin cotton gloves.
Next quickly bend cookie over the edge of a cup. The whole process of forming the cookie should take about 10 seconds. You must move fast because once the cookie cools it will not be flexible.
If you like these homemade fortune cookies can be placed in cut Chinese take out containers. It makes for a fun gift!
How easy was that!?!
Fortune Cookie Recipe
Fortune Cookie Recipe
Easy recipe to make homemade fortune cookies
- 2 egg whites
- 1/2 cup flour sifted
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 2 tablespoons water
- 1 tsp almond extract
- 1/2 tsp. vanilla extract
Set oven to 400F degrees.
- 1) Place egg whites in a bowl and beat with electric mixer on medium speed until very frothy, almost soft peaks.
- 2) Add sifted flour,
- 3) Add sugar, almond, and vanilla then mix.
- 4) Stir in 2 tablespoons of water to thin batter.
- 5) Using a Silpat baking mat, parchment paper or un-greased baking pan place 1 tablespoon of batter on the pan. (I liked the Silpat mat the best. I did not have a problem removing them from my un-greased pan. When I greased the pan the batter did not stay in a circle. Since the moisture content in the batter is high, it does make the parchment paper wrinkle slightly but it still worked.)
Makes about 12 fortune cookies
Fortune Cookie Facts
- There are 107 calories in a fortune cookie you get at a resturant, these homemade ones only have 55.
- 3 billion fortune cookies are made each year.
- Fortune cookies are an American invention.