Baby, it is still hot outside! We are burning up here in Kansas. It is HOT! I can’t bear to turn on the oven and I am craving cool things! I gave this watermelon salad recipe a try and I am so glad I did. As usual, Paula Deen rocks!
Related: Heatwaves last for days that’s why I keep the makings for summer salad recipes on hand. If you’re like me, I think you will enjoy this layered southwestern salad.
I’m so happy you are here! I love sharing easy ideas to celebrate all the special things in life! Whenever you need a yummy recipe to share with friends or a creative activity, please come visit me! I will keep you stocked with loads of entertaining and gift ideas.
Hands down, this is the best watermelon salad! If you love sweet and savory foods, you’re going to love this salad with the perfect balance of watermelon, feta cheese, onion, and mint. The combination is refreshingly good!
Once you taste it, you’ll be craving this watermelon feta mint salad on a hot day. Or take it with you to a picnic. With its vibrant color and refreshing flavors, everyone will want to eat it!
Here’s what you Need for this Summer Watermelon Salad
To make this refreshing watermelon with mint salad you may have to make a trip to the grocery store. Or you may prefer going to the farmer’s market for the watermelon and fresh mint leaves. Here are the eight ingredients and kitchen equipment you will need:
Water Melon Salad Ingredients
- 8 cups cubed watermelon (I prefer to buy a whole seedless watermelon and cube it.)
- a small Vidalia or other sweet mild onion, like a sweet red onion
- red wine vinegar
- Kosher salt and black pepper
- extra-virgin olive oil
- fresh mint (you will need some for the salad and some to garnish the salad)
- feta cheese, crumbled
This section contains affiliate links to some useful kitchen gadgets.
- small mixing bowl for the salad dressing
- knife (for cutting the melon, slicing onion, and chopping the mint)
- melon baller (If you prefer, use a melon baller instead of a knife to make the salad a bit fancier.)
- large mixing bowl
- salad tossers (two spoons will also work)
Here’s how you make this watermelon salad with a salty and refreshing punch. (This recipe was adapted from Paula Deen.)
How to make the Salad dressing
To begin, in a small bowl, combine the vinegar, salt, pepper, and whisk until salt is dissolved. Slowly whisk in the olive oil. Add in the chopped mint, taste, and adjust seasonings.
Set the dressing aside while you prepare the rest of the salad.
Putting the Watermelon salad together
Next, cube the watermelon. You will need approximately 8 cups. As you cube the melon place it in a large bowl.
Then with a sharp knife thinly slice the Vidalia onion. Once sliced, add the onion and the crumbled feta cheese to the bowl. Gently toss to combine the melon, onion, and feta.
To finish the watermelon feta salad, drizzle the dressing over the melon mixture. Toss gently until everything is coated and evenly mixed. Garnish with mint sprigs.
Chill before serving to allow the flavors to develop.
I think you’ll find this watermelon salad with feta is totally addictive!
Are you wanting More Delicious Salad Recipes?
Thank you for beating the heat and checking out this refreshing watermelon salad with me today! Please leave me a comment below and let me know how your family liked it! And then enjoy these salads, too!
- This Cauliflower salad is delicious!
- Check out these great Pasta Salad Recipes
- These easy summer salads use foods fresh out of your garden, including a potato and grilled sweet corn salad.
- Some call this salad a cucumber salad others call it a tomato salad, but this Tomato Cucumber & Avacado salad is simply delicious.
I would love to keep you fully stocked with creative ideas, yummy recipes, fun crafts, and loads of free printables. Subscribe to Skip to my Lou to get new ideas delivered to your inbox. Follow me on Facebook, Pinterest, Twitter, and Instagram for all my latest updates.
Watermelon Salad (adapted from Paula Deen)
- 8 cups cubed watermelon
- 1 small Vidalia or other sweet mild onion thinly sliced
- 1/8 cup red wine vinegar
- Kosher salt to taste
- pepper to taste
- 1/4 cup extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh mint
- 2 – 4 ounces feta cheese crumbled
- mint sprigs for garnish
- In a small bowl, combine the vinegar, salt, pepper, and whisk until salt is dissolved. Slowly whisk in the olive oil. Add in the chopped mint, taste, and adjust seasonings.
- In a large bowl, combine the melon, onion, and feta. Pour the dressing over the melon mixture and toss gently until everything is coated and evenly mixed.
- Garnish with mint sprigs.