When you can’t remember how many quarts in a gallon try this great memory trick!
Click on the image if you would like to print!
Use the gallon eating the quarts trick. It goes like this:
- In a gallon, there are four quarts.
- In a quart, there are two pints
- In a pint, there are two cups
So visually the large G shows four Q (quarts) inside, and two P (pints) fit inside the Q, and two C (cups) fit inside the P. Keep this diagram in mind and you can easily figure out that there are four cups in a quart, 16 cups in a gallon, and so on.
How many quarts in a gallon?
- There are 4 quarts in a gallon
So by looking at the image, you can easily see there are four quarts in a gallon and also answer these questions:
How many cups are in 1 gallon?
- There are 16 cups in a gallon.
In the US we figure 8 ounces per cup. So 6 8-ounce cups equal one gallon. If you want to drink a gallon of water, you would need to drink 16 8-ounce cups of water.
How many cups in a half gallon?
- There are 8 cups in a half gallon.
Measurement Conversion Chart
- 1 gallon = 4 quarts = 16 cups = 256 tablespoons = 768 teaspoons
- 1 quart = 4 cups
- 1 cup = 16 tablespoons
- 1 tablespoon = 3 teaspoons
How many ounces in a gallon?
- There are 128 ounces in a gallon.
Here are the common units of capacity from smallest to largest
- Fluid ounces (fl oz)
Now you will be able to answer any measurement questions and know how many quarts are in a gallon. Hope you like this trick!
You might also like these handy sheets.