Hello Crafty Campers! Heather here from The Sewing Loft and I’m excited to be your counselor for the day at this years craft camp.
Today, I’m sharing a quick craft to keep the kiddo’s engaged during those long summer days.
- felt in assorted colors
- embroidery floss
- stuffing (or cotton balls)
- 1/4″ wide ribbon
- swivel lobster clasp closures
- googly eyes
- template or child’s drawing
- hand sewing needle & matching thread
- clear drying glue
- freezer paper & iron are optional
1. Trace your shape onto paper side of freezer paper. Using a low temp iron, iron shiny side of paper face down to felt. This will bond the paper to the felt and making cutting easy for little hands. Bonus- no small pins! Repeat to cut 2 shapes.
2.With needle and thread stitch a mouth on front shape. Next loop swivel clasp through your ribbon and fold in half. Position on the inside top of back shape and sew in place. *It is important to secure this piece well.
3. Layer front and back pieces together. Thread needle with embroidery floss and a small knot at the end, starting at the bottom of shape, sew pieces together with a simple running stitch all along the outside edge. Leave a small opening and lightly fill with stuffing. Finish sewing shape closed. As I mentioned under materials, cotton balls work well in a pinch.
4. Glue googly eyes in place and let dry. Once dry, your Buckle Buddy is all set and ready to travel with you all summer long.
This summer we are road tripping it and our buddies are coming for the ride. That’s right, they will travel with us and be part of fun photos along the way. Think of the possibilities with this… I am creating a game for the girls that includes whacky pictures, strange places, miles traveled and more. I’m thinking their summer scrap books are going to be interesting!