I am so excited for Back to School! I love summer, don’t get me wrong. It feels like a super long weekend. However, there comes a point where I begin to crave the structure that the school year offers.
School is already in session for some and my kiddos all start this week! As a mom, I know it is important to send them off to school with a great breakfast. It helps get their bodies and brains ready for all the learning they will be doing at school.
Well, today I wanted to share with all of you 2 great ways to get your kids off to school with a great breakfast. Breakfast burritos are always a hit at my house, and I have 2 easy ways to make them.
The first is to make them ahead of time and freeze them. You can get the kids involved with making them on the weekend and they could even personalize their own burritos. Our standard is sausage, egg, and cheese, but you can always change it up. Ham and bacon are also tasty. I personally enjoy some cooked onions and peppers too.
MY LATEST VIDEOS
Once they are all made you just place them in the freezer. Then on those busy school mornings just grab one from the freezer, wrap it in a paper towel, and microwave for 1 minute or 2 and you are set.
If you don’t have the chance to make them ahead of time, you can still do individual ones in the microwave in no time. It only takes a couple of minutes. This quick microwave version is simple and consists of just egg, cheese, and salsa, but you could easily add a slice of ham lunch meat. Get creative with this one and I hope your family enjoys them.
Freezer Breakfast Burritos
12 eggs, beaten
1 lb bulk sausage, cooked (or crumbled links)
2 cups cheddar cheese, shredded
12 flour tortillas (mine were about 8inch in size, you can also use whole wheat)
- Scramble eggs in large skillet until done and remove from heat; stir in cooked sausage and shredded cheese (You could mix in 1/2 cup salsa here if you like).
- Warm tortillas in microwave 20-30 seconds or until warm and flexible. Place 1/2 cup egg mixture into tortilla; roll burrito-style.Freeze burritos in single layer on a cookie sheet. When fully frozen (in about 1 hour) place burritos in large zip-top freezer bag; freeze.
- TO SERVE: Wrap in a paper towel. Cook in microwave until heated through (about 1 1/2 to 2 minutes).
Quick Breakfast Burrito
1 flour tortilla (6-inch)
1 Tbsp. shredded cheese blend
1 Tbsp. salsa
- Place tortilla on a place and microwave for 5 seconds. Line a 2-cup microwave-safe cereal bowl with microwave-safe paper towel. Press the tortilla into bowl.
- Break the egg another bowl and beat with a fork until blended. Pour the egg into the tortilla. Add salt and pepper if desired.
- Microwave on HIGH for 30 seconds. Gently stir and microwave until egg is almost set, 15 to 30 seconds longer.
- Remove tortilla with paper towel liner from bowl to flat surface. Top egg with cheese and salsa. Fold bottom of tortilla over egg, then fold in sides.
Laura Powell is from Utah and blogs at realmomkitchen.com. She gained a passion for cooking from her mother and created her own recipe book as a young girl along with participating in a summer cooking program through the Deseret News. She began her blog, realmomkitchen.com, in April of 2008 as a way to showcase her passion for cooking. Since then realmomkitchen.com has turned into her own small business and has published three cookbooks. Laura resides in Utah with her husband and 3 children.