With just a few supplies you can make a handmade Baby’s first Christmas ornament. What a thoughtful and sentimental gift for a baby. This entire project is made entirely by hand, so don’t fret if you don’t have a sewing machine.
I am making a handmade Baby Christmas Ornament for each of my children. Hand stitching can be just as fun, and in my opinion, is very therapeutic. Let’s get started!
Items needed to Make Baby’s First Ornament
- DIY template
- wool felt, 2-3 colors
- embroidery floss
- 6 inches twill trim
- small scraps of quilt batting
- Finished Size: 5 1/4 inches x 5 /14 inches
Follow along to Make This Beautiful Ornament
1. Create a template to create a shape for the main backdrop of the ornament. You can make any shape you’d like- for example- a baby raddle, diaper, or a onesie as pictured. It is fairly easy to create with pen and paper. Be sure to fold down the center of the template to ensure it is symmetrical. My template is 5 1/4 inches x 5 /14 inches.
2. Pin the template to the wool, and cut 2 pieces of felt, to create the background.
3. Use different colors of felt and cut to create a festive design on the ornament. For example, you could create a Santa hat, a string of lights, snowflakes, etc.
4. Stitch your design onto the main backdrop. I used tiny whip stitches to secure my Santa hat.
5. Stitch your child’s name and birthdate.
6. Sandwich batting in between the 2 backdrop pieces, and add the trim to the top of the ornament.
7. Sew a blanket stitch around the ornament. (Google “blanket stitch” for tips).
8. Decorate and celebrate!
Please visit Rachel at https://www.familyeverafterblog.com/ for more homemade ideas.