SUBSCRIBE VIA EMAILSubscribe to Skip to my Lou posts
and receive them in your email inbox!
What is Graves’ Disease?
What is Graves’ disease?
Graves disease is an autoimmune disorder that leads to overactivity of the thyroid gland (hyperthyroidism).
For more information read understanding Grave’s Disease.
What are the symptoms of Graves’ disease?
Some people with Graves’ disease might experience the symptoms of an overactive thyroid, such as:
- Goiter (enlarged thyroid)
- Trouble sleeping
- Irritability or nervousness
- Heat sensitivity, increased sweating
- Hand tremors
- Rapid heartbeat
- Thinning of skin or fine, brittle hair
- Frequent bowel movements
- Weight loss without dieting
- Fatigue or muscle weakness
- Lighter menstrual flow and less frequent periods
- Problems getting pregnant
For me I experienced rapid heart beat, hair loss, fatigue and hand tremors. (Okay so I am sure my husband would like to add irritability!). Currently I am in remission and feel better limiting processed food, dairy and gluten. You can read more about auto-immune disorders and diet there are plenty of benefits of paleo diet articles on the web. I am not recommending this for anyone, I am only sharing how I try to eat. As always, a doctor is the first place to go for help and information!