Make Somebodys Day! Send Good Vibes. Everything you need over 50% OFF. Learn More
This is one of our favorite simple suppers during the summer – Crock Pot Baked Potatoes! Did you know you can make slow cooker baked potatoes? Such a great idea!
Cooking potatoes in the crock pot is so convenient – no need to heat up the oven and make the kitchen hot! Just wrap in foil, throw potatoes in the crockpot, and make sides on the grill! If you like this recipe, you’ll also love our hearty crockpot mac and cheese!
I hate to use the oven in the summer. This is something I can throw in the crock-pot in the morning and have dinner ready in the evening.
How To Make Crock Pot Baked Potatoes
Wash and dry large potatoes. Give each potato a prick with a fork. Cover each potato in aluminum foil.
Now simply place potatoes in the slow cooker or crock-pot. Just as good as oven baked without using the oven.
Cook on low for about eight hours, or cook on high four hours. Easy to prep, and cleanup is a snap. Save the recipe card below for perfect, fork tender potatoes every time.
Crock Pot Baked Potatoes
An easy method to bake potatoes in your slow cooker.
- 4 - 6 russet baking potatoes I have done 8
- 2 - 3 teaspoons olive oil optional 1/2 teaspoon per potato (I typically omit oil and salt)
- 1 - 11/2 teaspoons salt about 1/4 teaspoon per potato(optional)
- Aluminum foil
- Your choice of toppings: Grated cheese, cooked broccoli, crumbled bacon, chives, chili, sour cream etc.
Scrub the potatoes and dry completely.
Prick each potato several times with a fork.
Rub potatoes with a tiny bit of oil and then rub with salt. This step can be omitted.
Wrap each potato tightly in aluminum foil. Be sure potato is completely covered.
Place potatoes in slow cooker
Cook the potatoes on high for 4 to 5 hours or low for 8 to 10 hours, or until soft. Do not overcook or potatoes will become soggy. I cook mine about 8 hours.
Carefully unwrap the potatoes.
Cut potatoes open and top with desired toppings.
Recipe Video[brid autoplay="true" video="454200" player="18814" title="Crock Pot Baked Potatoes" duration="66" uploaddate="2019-08-22 15:13:25" thumbnailurl="//cdn.brid.tv/live/partners/14570/thumb/454200_t_1566486794.png"]
This recipe makes perfect potatoes every time and won't heat up your house.
Nutritional information is calculated without the toppings.
Slow Cooker Baked Potatoes
Now that you’ve got a pile of perfectly baked potatoes, let’s eat!
Load them up with your favorite toppings, serve with a big salad and dinner is served. Potatoes also go great with grilled meat, corn on the cob, and all kinds of other summer sides.
What are your favorite baked potato toppings? We like to make ours “loaded” by laying out a bunch of toppings. We have butter, sour cream, salt and pepper, cheddar cheese, bacon bits and green chives or onions handy.
In fact, a potato bar is a perfect set-up for a party. Just lay out all your toppings and let guests grab their potatoes and top them off with all the fixins!
Tips for Perfect Crock Pot Baked Potatoes
- After you wash your potatoes, make sure you dry them completely.
- Rub each potato with olive oil and rub with salt, if desired.
- Pierce the potatoes in several places with a fork. Technically, you are steaming the potatoes, and that steam needs somewhere to get out!
- Wrap the foil tightly around each potato. You don’t want it loose or open.
- If the potato is exposed, it can discolor. Darkened potato is still totally edible, though!
- Don’t overcook, or the potatoes will get soggy. You want fluffy!
- For a healthy topping, try plain nonfat Greek yogurt instead of sour cream. It adds protein and still delivers the tangy, creamy flavor you want.
- You can also smoother one of these delicious baked potatoes with Slow Cooker Chili. I think of this as comfort food add some cheese and sour cream on top – YUM!
Got any potato tips? Have you tried the crockpot baked potatoes method? I’m slightly obsessed with all things crockpot, so leave your comments and let us know how yours turned out!
For another easy dinner try our favorite crockpot mac and cheese! And for another super easy crowd-pleaser, be sure to check out our slow cooker lasagna recipe! These are perfect for busy nights or potluck get-togethers.